How long does the Blue Lobster Crayfish LIVE?

fishingaddict

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2006
houston, texas
ive got a couple crawfish too, but i dont really have any special things i do for them. they catch their own feeders when i feed the other fish. i donno what kind it is, i just grabbed two from the sack before a crawfish boil and now have them in my tank. its pretty cool when they molt, cuz its an exact replica of themself. mine eats his shell after it molts. is that normal? safe?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
That is really neat that you saved two.. and this fish is a beauty..what kind is it? Yes it is normal for the crayfish to eat their shell..it is loaded with calcium and probably other nutrients.. i do not know much about them but this i did hear many times..you should always leave the shell there for that purpose unless it is not eaten and starts to decay..then you would remove it. Very nice set up you have.

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
mibbyblues;549514; said:
First; crushed oyster shell is a Great source of calcium.
2nd my husband and I import, raise,breed, and sell crayfish for a living and personally I would NEVER give my crays medicine-cabinet iodine. That is a substance made for man by man and it is totally un-needed IF you properly feed your crays. The best form of iodine is found naturally in food.Natural is always best. Feed your crays rotting veggies(peas works good). experiment with the type of veggies your cray likes and leave a small amount on the bottom to rott. Crayfish eat degenerative matter. Or just give it alge waffers.
Next; your crayfish needs a much higher protien content that your goldfish does. You need to find a sinking high protien fish food......
Thank you.. so much..but what sinking protein content do you feed..would shrimp pellets be something a cray may go for.. he seems to jump right on the algie wafers and ignores everything else ..

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Mine just passed away yesterday.. i was hoping i would have him a bit longer.. but he went through a molt and i quess it took everything out of him.. i knew something was wrong because he suddenly stopped eating.. maybe i will get another one someday.. this one was over 5 years old..so i quess the time i had was enough to be grateful for..they are a hoot!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
mibbyblues;549514; said:
First; crushed oyster shell is a Great source of calcium.
2nd my husband and I import, raise,breed, and sell crayfish for a living and personally I would NEVER give my crays medicine-cabinet iodine. That is a substance made for man by man and it is totally un-needed IF you properly feed your crays. The best form of iodine is found naturally in food.Natural is always best. Feed your crays rotting veggies(peas works good). experiment with the type of veggies your cray likes and leave a small amount on the bottom to rott. Crayfish eat degenerative matter. Or just give it alge waffers.
Next; your crayfish needs a much higher protien content that your goldfish does. You need to find a sinking high protien fish food......
I use iodine in the culturing of the half a million crays I raise each year to ensure they have proper molts. I have to be wary of the amount of degenerative matter in their bins because of DO concerns when raising 150lbs of marketable crays per 450gal growout bin. My crays (Cherax quadricarinatus) are fed a 50:50 mixture of commercial sinking catfish pellets and rabbit pellets with the addition of frozen vegetables when approaching harvesting.

mibbyblues

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Texas
www.texasaquaponics.com
Oddball;569471; said:
I use iodine in the culturing of the half a million crays I raise each year to ensure they have proper molts. I have to be wary of the amount of degenerative matter in their bins because of DO concerns when raising 150lbs of marketable crays per 450gal growout bin. My crays (Cherax quadricarinatus) are fed a 50:50 mixture of commercial sinking catfish pellets and rabbit pellets with the addition of frozen vegetables when approaching harvesting.
You know, we import Walkamin Strain Cherax Quads direct from Australia at the rate anywhere from 200kg on up every 6 weeks from the largest Walkamin production farm in Queensland Au. We pick out the best for our personal breeding stock and sell the rest for breeders and then import special for food stock and we are currently getting $35.00 per pound for Redclaw(non walkamin). Since food grade is of a lower genetic stock then breeding stock we are careful to keep them seperate.
We have NEVER had to use iodine and we have no problems with molting. As a matter of fact I cant remember the last one that died and I cant remember the last one that died from a bad molt. Also, our walkamin strain grow at a rate of over 55% faster than non-walkamin and we still have NEVER had to use iodine in our tanks.....
we use 650 gallon poly aquaculture tanks for berrieds and babies and 1,000.00 gallon poly aquaculture tanks for adults.....
We also have to be VERY careful about the water quality, but I have found that since we have overbuilt our system we can handle just about anything......

Mabye its just our water.....

mibbyblues

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Texas
www.texasaquaponics.com
Oddball,

I would love to know what you web site is for you Quads so that I can see what you have to offer. Also, who do you sell to what is your clientelle.

And, mostly how do you get away with raising Redclaw? Arnt Redclaw illegal where you are??????

mibbyblues

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Texas
www.texasaquaponics.com
Oddball;569471; said:
to what size is your growout......?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
mibbyblues;569803; said:
Oddball,

I would love to know what you web site is for you Quads so that I can see what you have to offer. Also, who do you sell to what is your clientelle.

And, mostly how do you get away with raising Redclaw? Arnt Redclaw illegal where you are??????

I have a northwestern client base of restaurants and asian food markets. I have yet to reestablish my website since relocating to the south.

Redclaws are not illegal. Cherax destructor is on the restricted list and can be farmed by special permit. But, thanks for asking in a public forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store