How long does the Blue Lobster Crayfish LIVE?

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
mibbyblues: My hat's off to you on your obtaining the Walkamin Strain. I've been unable to get any of that strain and have been interested in culturing them for awhile now.

My customers, for the most part, prefer body lengths of 7.5 - 8". I used to grow them out longer but, my percentage of requests for >8" has fallen off with the exception of the occassional small orders. Now, my larger ones are sold to aquarium wholesalers. But, that only amounts to a few boxes a year.

mibbyblues

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Texas
www.texasaquaponics.com
Oddball;570147; said:
I have a northwestern client base of restaurants and asian food markets. I have yet to reestablish my website since relocating to the south.

Redclaws are not illegal. Cherax destructor is on the restricted list and can be farmed by special permit. But, thanks for asking in a public forum.

Sorry IF I was mis- informed. There was a listing of the regulations for all states on another forum and they had your state incorrectly marked as (not allowed)..... I will contact them and ask them to re lookup your state........
I am also sorry if you have a problem with me asking you about your states rules and regulations on a public forum.

As a matter of fact we are having a big battle with the Texas Department of Wildlife at the moment and they want to make Redclaw( actually) all Cherax and all southern hemisphere crays illegal to have and own without a permitt....

As a matter of fact; I could go on to say that Joedy Grey at the TDW has lied to my husband and ourselfs because the rules and regulations were already passed and now they are going to ammend them again without giving notice and they want me to rat out my clients that are Texas based...
The only good thing is that I have NO Texas clients(it just worked out that way) and we can still ship out of state all day and night long. So we arn't out too much.
I am dissapointed that the aquarium trade that I was really starting to cultivate is now a NO NO in Texas.

mibbyblues

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2006
Texas
www.texasaquaponics.com
We finally heard from Joedy Grey at the TDW and he said that if someone was trying to run around the rules and change them that he was not aware of it but would check into the situation.

As it also turns out the gentleman who is with the inforcement division who sent the survey was unaware of the entire law or had mis information....

I do know that they are going to re propose the rule on January 25th and Noel and I will be there again for sure.
They say that they have to re propose the rule because when it was initially passed they stated that there was NO economic impact on Anyone in Texas because of the new rules; Yet they NEVER did an economic impact study.......
They actually rufused to do one saying that it was not needed.

All I know for sure is that we HAVE to be at that meeting and we have to be ready to fight AGAIN just in case......

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
mibbyblues;571213; said:
We finally heard from Joedy Grey at the TDW and he said that if someone was trying to run around the rules and change them that he was not aware of it but would check into the situation.

As it also turns out the gentleman who is with the inforcement division who sent the survey was unaware of the entire law or had mis information....

I do know that they are going to re propose the rule on January 25th and Noel and I will be there again for sure.
They say that they have to re propose the rule because when it was initially passed they stated that there was NO economic impact on Anyone in Texas because of the new rules; Yet they NEVER did an economic impact study.......
They actually rufused to do one saying that it was not needed.

All I know for sure is that we HAVE to be at that meeting and we have to be ready to fight AGAIN just in case......
Best of luck in your efforts. I had a similar situation here 2 years ago. First, the county was shaking my hand and thanking me for bringing a new business to the county. Then, MS tried changing the state law by restricting all Cherax species. When I went to the county for a letter of recommendation to the state board, the shaking hands all disappeared into the woodwork. Found out at the hearings that my county reps had endorsed the new state law proposal. It failed but, I didn't forget at election time.

vicedretard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
in the river
he isnt as blue as i thought he would be as i was reading through and then came to your pic...but hikari carnivore pelltes sink and have been doing wonders for my red crayfish...along with old veggies that my tortoise doesnt eat.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
vicedretard;594400; said:
he isnt as blue as i thought he would be as i was reading through and then came to your pic...but hikari carnivore pelltes sink and have been doing wonders for my red crayfish...along with old veggies that my tortoise doesnt eat.
I do not think he was very blue because of his old age..and i did lose him after his molt so i quess it was taking its toll on him..will get another one though..why don't you post picture of your red ones..

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
braddawson09;618383; said:
do cray fish shed there skin???
I do not know if you actually call it skin.. but i quess the answer is yes.. because they actually leave a whole body even the legs and claws and grow another new layer..i thought i had two crays when i first saw it..

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
braddawson09;618473; said:
ya that happened to me i thought mine had died ...then i looked in the corner of the tank and he was there
really an awesome surprise to see it for the first time...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store