How many Clown Loaches do you have? How big would our pack be?

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
What size aquarium ? Yours are a lot more out-going than mine; mine hide in the underbrush; rush out when i feed them and then shoot back into hiding.
They are in a 90 for now, with plans for a 125 and the eventual custom 8’ tank during the next house move. Mine were much more outgoing at first when I took this picture. They do the same as you described and quickly retreat to their caves when I approach. I used different sizes of ABS pipe and created tunnels underneath the substrate for them. There is a three pronged network of tunnels for them to explore. They love it, but reduces how much I see them.

Reactions: jake37

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
They are in a 90 for now, with plans for a 125 and the eventual custom 8’ tank during the next house move. Mine were much more outgoing at first when I took this picture. They do the same as you described and quickly retreat to their caves when I approach. I used different sizes of ABS pipe and created tunnels underneath the substrate for them. There is a three pronged network of tunnels for them to explore. They love it, but reduces how much I see them.
Yea i'm moving mine into a 10 foot tank in may when i move. Actually 10ftx4ft; they better like it. I'm not putting pvc; but will put in a lot of larger slanted drift wood and slate they can hide under. It will also be heavily planted like their current tank which is this one:
festy.jpg
You can see a few on the right in the shadows; The large ones only come out to eat during the day but they will organize a glass surf at night. The 8 smaller ones will come out during the day from time to time but if i turn my head too fast or wink at them - they zoom away.

Reactions: platy21

Redshark1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2017
Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
They get more confident as they get larger but still can frustrate for periods. Their behaviour can change and it doesn't always seem to make sense but persevere. I found feeding them at the same time helped encourage them. Blacking out the back and sides also. I lowered the flow to x5 and increased oxygenation via the venturi on my pumps. Dither fish, which I have, are supposed to help. It may take one to come out and the rest follow. I remember being frustrated with them but they have been great for around ten years now. My six are 28 years old. In between feeds I have one or two out foraging and others hiding. At feeding times they all come out enthusiastically for food and there is a lot or activity and competition so I spread the food out. This spectacle is great and on demand and I find it more interesting than all the fish being on display all the time.

Reactions: platy21

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
Yea i'm moving mine into a 10 foot tank in may when i move. Actually 10ftx4ft; they better like it. I'm not putting pvc; but will put in a lot of larger slanted drift wood and slate they can hide under. It will also be heavily planted like their current tank which is this one:
That sounds like an awesome future tank build. Your current tank looks great, I've always liked the look of Festivum's and Angelfish together.

They get more confident as they get larger but still can frustrate for periods. Their behaviour can change and it doesn't always seem to make sense but persevere. I found feeding them at the same time helped encourage them. Blacking out the back and sides also. I lowered the flow to x5 and increased oxygenation via the venturi on my pumps. Dither fish, which I have, are supposed to help. It may take one to come out and the rest follow. I remember being frustrated with them but they have been great for around ten years now. My six are 28 years old. In between feeds I have one or two out foraging and others hiding. At feeding times they all come out enthusiastically for food and there is a lot or activity and competition so I spread the food out. This spectacle is great and on demand and I find it more interesting than all the fish being on display all the time.
Mine are still small but have put on size since I first got them a few months back. I have found during my evening feedings they are content to come out and eat in the open provided I sit back and don't move around too much. There are a few bolder loaches who will stay out but retreat to the a plant if I come close. They love the sinking Hikari pellets and NLS TheraA.

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
Got a better picture of some of the clowns. And the bristlenose who thinks she is also a clown loach. FD8335DE-929B-4AD7-9831-E6030461E73A.jpegAD12F3EB-9815-4C98-9E43-574DB9381AF4.jpegCBB112F7-E085-47AB-811C-A5F089DAEF0A.jpeg

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
Got a better picture of some of the clowns. And the bristlenose who thinks she is also a clown loach. View attachment 1508821View attachment 1508822View attachment 1508823
One thing to be aware of - i had a lemon blue-eye pleco (male) with my clown loaches. He chose a cave that was sometime used by the larger 3 year old female (around 5 1/2 inches); for a while they would passively fight (wagging tales and such); and this went on for a few months; and then one day the pleco vanished and i never saw it again (that was a year ago)....

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
One thing to be aware of - i had a lemon blue-eye pleco (male) with my clown loaches. He chose a cave that was sometime used by the larger 3 year old female (around 5 1/2 inches); for a while they would passively fight (wagging tales and such); and this went on for a few months; and then one day the pleco vanished and i never saw it again (that was a year ago)....
That’s good to know and I will keep my eye on them. The pleco can always move to my 75 gallon.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Ive added a dozen more in recent months so now we are at 5249.

Edit...actually i think a bunch of people posted their numbers without adding to the total. Im too lazy to do that much math right now.

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
These are my clowns in their new home and they are much happier in the 550 than they were in a 120; now they constantly swim up to me:
xxx.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store