How much do you drip???

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
DB junkie;3913790; said:
Doing a weekly 80% you should only have to drip about 30 gpd to be over the WC Schedule. 48 should be more then enough. Did you tap into both warm and cold? I eliminated using 8 250 watt stealths in my pond by dripping warm water.

I'm at 225 per day on my pond, then usually crank it up on the weekends to flush after feeding till they refuse.

I was talking with another member about this the other day, you also have to take in consideration to the dilution of the "new" water with the "old" water. I was told there was a calculator to figure how much this is actually doing.

Stan, where ya at???

Even though i am dripping on one side and dumping water from the other, you still are dumping a percentage of clean water too....right? What is the ratio?

I want this to be doing more than i was previously as my water would get to 40ppm and i would like to keep it around 10-20ppm.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
vamptrev;3913818; said:
i do 200 gpd in my 450 gal with 8 to 10 large rays

wow that is a lot! do you dump back into a drain or to the yard? You have a lot of rays so lots of waste :eek:

so by using the calculator you are doing 95% or so

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
DB junkie;3913790; said:
Doing a weekly 80% you should only have to drip about 30 gpd to be over the WC Schedule. 48 should be more then enough. Did you tap into both warm and cold? I eliminated using 8 250 watt stealths in my pond by dripping warm water.

I'm at 225 per day on my pond, then usually crank it up on the weekends to flush after feeding till they refuse.
i only tapped into the cold side, with well water it is pretty cold too. I am really cranking up the heater to keep it at 78 degrees..

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
(450 gal, 200 gal per day) The drip system will change 35.32 % of the Tank's water in one day and 58.17 % in two days.
Assuming no additional pollutants are added, drip system will replace 95.26 % of the Tank's water in a week

seems a little weird that the percentage goes down w time. if our dripping the same amount every day wouldnt the percentage be the same every day? am i missing something?

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
vamptrev;3913876; said:
(450 gal, 200 gal per day) The drip system will change 35.32 % of the Tank's water in one day and 58.17 % in two days.
Assuming no additional pollutants are added, drip system will replace 95.26 % of the Tank's water in a week

seems a little weird that the percentage goes down w time. if our dripping the same amount every day wouldnt the percentage be the same every day? am i missing something?

you change 35.32% the first day 58.27% over the first 2 days and 95.26% in a week

"If volume of clean water you drip into the tank is equal to 100% of the tank volume over a days time, your water change effect will not be 100% due to the draining away of both old and new water. The clean water is just diluting the old tank water."

that is why you never get to 100% of the water and why after 2 days its 58.27% instead of 70.64%, dilution just doesnt work that way

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
keepinfish;3913810; said:
I was talking with another member about this the other day, you also have to take in consideration to the dilution of the "new" water with the "old" water. I was told there was a calculator to figure how much this is actually doing.

Stan, where ya at???

Even though i am dripping on one side and dumping water from the other, you still are dumping a percentage of clean water too....right? What is the ratio?

I want this to be doing more than i was previously as my water would get to 40ppm and i would like to keep it around 10-20ppm.

This is what you need to do to figure it out.

Do a normal WC (50%)today, and record your PH, and mark it Test Result # 1

Start dripping 10% of water volume and test your PH after the end of each day, do this daily.

If your PH reading is lower after a few days, then increase your drip rate. if not, leave it as is.

Keep increasing the drip rate until there are no changes to your PH.

Keep in mind, the higher the bio load = higher the waste, higher the waste = water become acidic. Your goal for drip system is to keep PH stable at any given time.

Stan

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
vamptrev;3913876; said:

Your're dilluting the water, NOT replacing the water.

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
haven't checked my PH in some time, that is intersting, i will be buying a ph test kit today...

i was thinking to do the same thing but do it with nitrates, to get the nitrates to stay stable at like 10ppm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store