How much do you drip???

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
keepinfish;3913848; said:
i only tapped into the cold side, with well water it is pretty cold too. I am really cranking up the heater to keep it at 78 degrees..
You shouldn't really need to crank up the heater. If your water is really cold, then spread your drips over time.

I drip 60 gallons per day in my 240 to keep PH at 7.0. I only drip about 10 hours per day at 6 GPH to keep temp stable. Keep in mind, your goal is to keep PH and TEMP stable. By doing this, your heater will not cycle on and off as often therefore keeping yoru energy cost down.

I crank up my drip rate per hour in the summer time (to keep the tank cooler), but slow it down in the winter (to keep the heater from cycling on and off often)

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
flamenco-t;3913933; said:
You shouldn't really need to crank up the heater. If your water is really cold, then spread your drips over time.

I drip 60 gallons per day in my 240 to keep PH at 7.0. I only drip about 10 hours per day at 6 GPH to keep temp stable. Keep in mind, your goal is to keep PH and TEMP stable. By doing this, your heater will not cycle on and off as often therefore keeping yoru energy cost down.

I crank up my drip rate per hour in the summer time (to keep the tank cooler), but slow it down in the winter (to keep the heater from cycling on and off often)
i would think the temp would stay more stable if you were to drip it 24hrs/day at 2.5gph due to less cold water coming in at one time and the fact that it is constant?

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
flamenco-t;3913933; said:

are you doing it manually? or using a sprikler system timer?

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
coeus;3913943; said:
i would think the temp would stay more stable if you were to drip it 24hrs/day at 2.5gph due to less cold water coming in at one time and the fact that it is constant?

YES, it would, but I always like to have it drip when I am at home just in case something bad happen.

I am using a normally closed solenoid on a simple timer.

When timer is on, the solenoid is on opening the valve. When the timer is off, then the solenoid shut the valve off. The solenoid is about $ 30 each.

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
OK that makes sense then,just didn't understand why you'd have it on only 6hrs/day for consistency

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
coeus;3913965; said:
OK that makes sense then,just didn't understand why you'd have it on only 6hrs/day for consistency
In the summer time when it's hot during the day, the 60 gallons that I drip in the afternoon helps keep the tank cooler. My temp never goes above 78-80 ish

It's a trial and error, you just have to find out what works for you

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
flamenco-t;3913968; said:
In the summer time when it's hot during the day, the 60 gallons that I drip in the afternoon helps keep the tank cooler. My temp never goes above 78-80 ish

It's a trial and error, you just have to find out what works for you
Sounds good I hope to have a drip system on my tank sometime this summer.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
im either over feeding or not dripping enough at 48gpd in my 300. ph dropped from 6.8 to 6.65 over 2 days after adding new fish and saw slight signs of ammonia. im going to back off feeding to once a day and go to 3ghp. see how that works.

stock is
2-6" retics
1-16" silver arow
3-4" red tailed sharks
3-6" scombs

keepinfish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
In God We Trust
mos90;3920583; said:
im either over feeding or not dripping enough at 48gpd in my 300. ph dropped from 6.8 to 6.65 over 2 days after adding new fish and saw slight signs of ammonia. im going to back off feeding to once a day and go to 3ghp. see how that works.

stock is
2-6" retics
1-16" silver arow
3-4" red tailed sharks
3-6" scombs

that is a very light stock IMO. How established is your filter if you have ammonia?

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
its a fairly new cycled tank. only been cycled for about 2 weeks.

ammo was at 0 for a while until i added extra fish. then very small spike. .2ppm .

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store