How should a juvie dat's ventral body look?

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
LFS typically feed bloodworms because they are cheap. It would be good to get them eating shrimp because once they get a little bigger you could stuff pellets in the shrimp to pellet train them. I've tried both NLS and Massivore for my dats and like most fish, they prefer massivore.

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
I just don't want to my fish hooked on an expensive food. Lol I am pretty sure it won't take much effort to switch my dat to pellets since he has already tried to eat them but couldn't swallow it. Shrimp is definitely a good idea for me to fatten him up now and to supplement with pellets later on down the road. Might end up with massivore one day though.

Sent from my fishy world!

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
Just picked up some 1.5 mm pellets and a couple containers of live red wigglers. Keep your fingers crossed. I want to make him a big boy!

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
I fed him last night really well but he didn't want the small pellets or red wigglers. Everyone else in the tank really wanted those worms.

So to recap: bad news, he only ate bloodworms; good news, he had a super full tummy last night. He stopped begging even!

I took some more pics of the fish and will post them tonight.

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
Ok... So I ended up buying raw shrimp anyway. Lol. He ate a pretty large piece of it and was happy! I saw his tummy bulge a bit this time, too. I think I will feed him a piece or two if shrimp for a little while to get him fattened up then wean him to pellets.

I'll keep everyone posted with his progress. Thanks for everyone's help!

Now, on to feeding my snakes. It's a great Friday!

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
He is starting to get a cool little personality, too! The freaking most awesome fish in my 180g! Well, ok, I'm a little excited about my dat, obviously. My other fish rock just as much. Don't tell them I'm boasting about the newcomer! :rolleyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store