How To Breed Red Terrors?

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
You are way to concerned on the aggression. What he is doing is getting her attention and trying to show her his spawning site. These are fish he can't take her by the hand she will eventually go look and let him know if it is good enough. If it is good enough they will spawn in there. If not he will work at it again and she will check it out. You may also observe them lip locking that is normal. Give them a couple of days together and see what happens. They will probably spawn with in a week or so.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
You said he only briefly chases her so don't worry. Would you ever be able to fall in love with a girl you only met once a year. They will be fine give them a chance one of these days she will follow him to his pot. Lay your pots on their side so he can't trap her in there and you can see if they spawn. It sounds like they eventually will just give them time.
I would personally prefer a longer tank or even may be a 48x18 inch foot pattern but this should work too. If he was going to kill her he would not stop chasing and she would be hiding in a corner at the top of the tank.

Convict Cichlids

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2010
NEW YORK
The last time I removed the divider I removed it for the whole day and the male was chasing the female every 10-15min. When I divided them I noticed the female has some nipped fins. Also the female was trying to hide when I removed the divider.

I understand where your Coming from and I will keep them together for a longer period of time and see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
Try rearanging the tank when you remove the divider. This will take away all established territories and create a new environment for them both. If you had a different tank you could also try moving them into it. If you have this option I would put her in first and then him. You said they are about the same size so I don't think a hole in the divider will work.
I understand how frustrating this can be but it will all come together. One other thing you could also try if it is possible get a second female so he has a choice.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
I was afraid you may have trouble finding one or even two more females. See if rearranging the tank helps sometimes the smallest thing makes a huge difference. Try asking in the Cichlid forum here for another female or two.

Freshwaterpredators

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
The Grotto
Not sure if you still have the Festae or not or how your luck turned as this thread is couple months old. But I would leave them divided and condition them. IE; feed high protein foods 2-3 times day, up temp to 82-84, and do water changes 2-3x a week for 2-4 weeks. Once you see them displaying colors regularly had head shaking, spotting gravel then pull divider and supervise. Give her a cave or something that she can claim and will run to during distress. Krill, earthworms, massivore, are great condition foods. Once you've conditioned them and they act like they still have issues then add dithers but cichlids not tin foils. Cichlids add territorial disputes and competition which will help better than non cichlid dithers. Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store