How to convince parents to let me me a tank?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Do you pay a waterbill? Have you ever asked why they dont want you to have one?

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

120 gallons is relatively huge. I've been in the hobby for over 35 years and my biggest tank is 65 gallons!

As a parent myself, all i need is the assurance of a commitment.

Were you committed to your previous tank?

My only suggestion is to suggest you go for a smaller tank.

Monster fish keeping is not necessarily all about the tank or fish size. Its a state of mind in my opinion.

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
I'm pretty sure we pay a water bill, but that's not the issue. I have asked them why they don't want one and they just keep saying we're too busy for one. Personally I don't really think this is true, I am only out of the house 4-5 times a week, and I would still have plenty of time to care for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
My best advice would be to ask them why they are against it. Thats the only way to find out. We could all give advice but their opinions is what really matters

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Get your parents interested in the tank. Do whatever you have to get them interested in the tank if it is keeping your moms favorite barb keep them as dithers. If your dad wants a specific catfish get it and base the stock around them.
People typically don't react well to I want this and this and this. Compromising is going to be your best friend.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
I got my first tank over 15 gal after I moved out... due to parental veto... That was a couple of decades ago, but I still feel your pain.

Not much you can do, though, while it's not you but the old man who pays the mortgage, water and electricity, and your allowance...

There is much you can do with small tanks, though. There really is. Trust me on that, because it's all I had as a youngster. Be creative.

Mattpersico98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2014
Toronto, ON, Canada
Thanks for the suggestion thekid, but that's where I run into another problem, they kind of think the hobby is ridiculous and they couldn't care less what I put in the tank even if I do get one. I have tried compromising and telling them that my brothers can pick one fish each for the tank since they seem kind of interested. It didn't have any effect.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Well u was saying before you wanted a summer job to help but did you offer to pay part of the water bill or electric bill when you do. Having a tank that large is expensive especially with bigger exotic fish. Thats a thing you have to take into consideration. It may not seem like much but a tank running 24-7 can become overwhelming

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store