How to convince parents to let me me a tank?

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
I think doom has it right. Ask them what their objections are and address them. Downsizing your tank is a negotiating option. As someone already said you can do a lot with a smaller tank. After 47 years my largest is still a 125 I bought while in high school. I was lucky in that my parents allowed me a lot of freedom with wholesome hobbies knowing I could be spending my time and money on other pass times.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Thanks for the suggestion thekid, but that's where I run into another problem, they kind of think the hobby is ridiculous and they couldn't care less what I put in the tank even if I do get one. I have tried compromising and telling them that my brothers can pick one fish each for the tank since they seem kind of interested. It didn't have any effect.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Is there anything your parents find pretty?

My parents could care less about my freshwater tanks but will pay $$$$ for my saltwater tanks. My parents put my two saltwater tanks in the living room and the den because they like them. They love the fish and even put the quarantine tanks where they are easily visible to check on them.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
+1 i didnt get my first 29+ gallon till after i had moved out of my moms and got my own place. Even then my parents still gave me flack for being interested in fish. Even my father gave me flack n he owns a 75 that now houses a few fish i raised. Just be patient

Sent from my LG-LS980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Is there anything your parents find pretty?

My parents could care less about my freshwater tanks but will pay $$$$ for my saltwater tanks. My parents put my two saltwater tanks in the living room and the den because they like them. They love the fish and even put the quarantine tanks where they are easily visible to check on them.

Just cause they find them nice lloking isn't always going to make a difference. I get what you was saying but to somone else they could careless. Its kindof like me n my art. I did graffiti growing up ever once in a while ill do something more fine art n my family liked it on e i went back to graff it went back to how it was they couldn't careless

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Just cause they find them nice lloking isn't always going to make a difference. I get what you was saying but to somone else they could careless. Its kindof like me n my art. I did graffiti growing up ever once in a while ill do something more fine art n my family liked it on e i went back to graff it went back to how it was they couldn't careless

If you can "set the hook" you probably can get a tank. For my parents it was the puffer in the saltwater tank. For others it might be a pair of clownfish and an anemone. If you can fulfill a dream they will be happier.

lardieleftover

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2014
san diego
Let them pick a fish for it, seems odd tht you would get rid of your other tanks if you were indeed so interested in the hobby. I would've bought the tank, but I wouldnt have had opposition from parent.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Sounds like you're going to have to face what many of us did living with parents lol. I wasn't allowed anything over 50 gallons, and that was a good 9 years into the hobby!

Try and get a tank that doesn't look big, like a stocky 65 or something; big long tanks will put your parents right off

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I'm lucky. I still don't live in my own house and I'm allowed my 450 gallon :D

Sent from my LG-D850 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store