How to go about feeding a 10.5 inch blind indo?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
That would probably be the best starting point lol...as for live food being the fish's only chance,how would it chase and capture what it can't see? I'm willing to bet that it has learned to eat some kind of pellets by now.
I guess the same way he's eating now. Something is put in front of his face & he snaps at it..if I were to take on this challenge ,i certaintly wouldn't want this fish to stay pretty much at statis quo which I have a feeling has been accomplished with this fish his whole like according to his gaunt belly...I would put him by himself in a fairly small tank (cause he ain't gonna move alot I wouldn't think) & throw a half dozen gutloaded feeders in there at night time..i bet they sooner or later they bump into his face & he mops them up..again..a smallish tank would be needed for this..if pellets & shrimp haven't worked in the past, something needs to change. His stomach tells me he needs a different approach. Also whole thawed fish dangled in front of his face may be worth a try to before or after the live approach..earthwormstoo on occasion

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I can agree with "putting something in front of his face"such as raw shrimp or fillet as he may sense or smell the food item but I don't know about the dat being able to chase down moving live fish.I can imagine the feeders slowing down and almost not moving after the lights are out just as you say the dat probably doesn't move much with or without lights.That sounds like a scenario where neither hunter nor prey is moving around very much....but it might work.I also agree that the fish likely hasn't been very well cared for previously as is most likely evidenced by the fact that it is blind.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
I had a half blind st years ago & I kept him by himself in a 90gal & he smashed feeders even though he was stuck in the upper corner of the tank all day..i think he got them mostly at night..but again, he was half blind (equally half blind out of both eyes) so he wasn't a complete vegatable...this is different, very different for sure..when I put him in my big tank, again he just sat in the upper corner at all times..he eventually learned to take floating fd krill & sometimes canadian nightcrawlers when I wiggled them in his face, but then his growth slowed dramatically compared to the gutloaded feeders..old member (sticky rice) ended up taking him off my hands at around 13inch but wow, what a challenge..this will prob be a totally different animal being totally blind..lookn forward to updates!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I actually have a half blind dat right now.It lost its eye either from a nasty fight or from injury by way of puncture or scrape on driftwood during a chase.It acts normal as it almost constantly cruises around the tank looking for food.Yeah,a fish operating with only one eye is totally different than one having none at all.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
He does in fact move alot, he likes to swim I think. He is either swimming near the top or nosing down at the sand. I will try feeding more directly tonight and I will see how it goes he snapped at massivore but didn't have the coordination to actually specifically pinpoint where it was at and inhale it. I don't think a smaller than 180 gallon tank is too good of an idea but hey I'm not an expert. He makes the tank look half as big as it is can't imagine him getting the most out of a smaller tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well he got a few pieces tonight of shrimp. The previous owner said he ate massivore but I think he isn't quick enough to beat the other fish to it. The 4.5 inch NGT I also got with the indo hasent had a chance to eat yet. I think it's taking him longer to settle in because he is smaller.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Did the owner tell you how he ate the massivores exactly. Did he simply grab one and bump the dats nose with it? Maybe try stuffing the shrimp with a massivores since he's eating shrimp now

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Did the owner tell you how he ate the massivores exactly. Did he simply grab one and bump the dats nose with it? Maybe try stuffing the shrimp with a massivores since he's eating shrimp now
Owner said he sniffed em out on the bottom.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Nice, but any dat I've ever seen that takes massivores usually doesn't have a belly like that. Maybe he just got out competed in his tank too. If you see him take a massivore, I would really think about not letting anything compete with him somehow. Would love to see this guy grow for you, you just need improve the odds with the little things I guess. BTW, shrimp meat is excellent filler, but lacks essential nutrients for long time well being. He will break down eventually if that's all he ends up taking. I think earthworms are worth a try too a few times a week. Smack him off his nose with one & he may slam it

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Nice, but any dat I've ever seen that takes massivores usually doesn't have a belly like that. Maybe he just got out competed in his tank too. If you see him take a massivore, I would really think about not letting anything compete with him somehow. Would love to see this guy grow for you, you just need improve the odds with the little things I guess. BTW, shrimp meat is excellent filler, but lacks essential nutrients for long time well being. He will break down eventually if that's all he ends up taking. I think earthworms are worth a try too a few times a week. Smack him off his nose with one & he may slam it
Yep I know shrimps not the best. I am sure he is out competed for food that's the problem, he just dosent get to the food as fast as the others is the issue. The time it takes him to find one piece of food or commit to eating one peice of food the others have already cleaned house. I will try my best to keep him on massivore I really want to beef him up more and I think he has potential to grow lots

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store