HUGE Arapaima Gigas

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Oh man. Is this gonna be 1 of THOSE threads again? I agree that a foot in 2 months is kind of over exagerating but I had an rtc grow from 1" to 1-1/2' in 6 months. That's 3" a month pretty much which is extremely fast.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
Why is everyone taking that comment so seriously are you sure he wasn't being sarcastic?? Good that he is supposed to be going to a goof home but shouldn't you be at least trying to put him in a good home In the first place? Maybe by not even selling these guys at all? 18 In two years and those huge eyes tell me possible stunted. What a beautiful fish but don't think it should be in the hobby. Unless requested by people with extremely large tanks not for the masses.

Sent from my HTC One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
A 5,000 gallon tank is huge but big enough i don't think...
Exactly why these fish should not be imported and offered for sale in the hobby. For every one "feel good" story about these fish, there are hundreds that suffer. Never seeing anything close to the housing they require.

Since you always have to accuse me of stuff tell me what I have exaggerated.
The 5 dollar black arowana along with the excuse you gave as to why the thread was posted :liar:

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
from 4-5in to 18in in 2 years and not 2 months? if that is true then it is a really stunted fish.
it kinda a lot of grow for 2 months but it's still possible in 3 months since pimas from 3-4in grow to 4 feet in 1 years is pretty normal. In 2 years with good feeding they would end up at 6 feet long or more.
If that is true, I wonder what did you take today, or whether you have grown a pima yourself... :screwy:

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
If that is true, I wonder what did you take today, or whether you have grown a pima yourself... :screwy:
well, I guess I didn't say with good housing condition also... I would have grown 1(or more like watch 1 grow up everyday) if they are not illegal in TX.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Well if i took the clown knife OUT to measure him the entire forum would cry and say I am "unfit to keep fish :D and my big tank is 210 gallons!

I'm not bashing but you can just put a ruler next to him when it's in front to get a size comparison. You don't have to take him out and put unneeded stress

Luc70

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
I've never heard of any fish growing 6 inches a month! For Pima's I've read anything from 1-3 inches a month (which would make this guy a really slow grower or possibly stunted as you suggested). Still an awesome fish!
Found my Arapaima January 2012.. from 90cm (~ 3 Foot) he went to 150cm (~ 5 Foot) in just over a year. Just to give a real world 'example'.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
it kinda a lot of grow for 2 months but it's still possible in 3 months since pimas from 3-4in grow to 4 feet in 1 years is pretty normal. In 2 years with good feeding they would end up at 6 feet long or more.
+1

Yeah mine grew about a 10 inches from 12 inches to an overall length of 20 inches in the 6 months I had him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store