i am finally moving to salt...lil help

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sbuse;4123610; said:
i did find that odd on the sharks as as some point in the future i will do a salt tank for sharks and moreys...it would be like my planned arapima setup for scale...

i have seen the black ocells and i like them, but i know my kids wont let it down that i got the 'wrong nemo' and since this one is for them...it will be a good jump into salt for my plans for some fishes i want to have...

i have heard that inverts don't count for the bio-load is that true?
Inverts will help your bio system if done properly. With your tank you should make sure to have your 20lbs of sand and close to that in live rock as well. Have good flow in your tank, i bought my 3125gph wave makers on ebay for 30$.. ones for you tank would be like 5 with shipping. I would stick with the pair of clowns and do some snails, and hermits. Don't overdue the snails and hermits because they need to eat, and they will die and hurt your bio load.

BTW once you upgrade to your 55, we will get into morays :D

Ill be so excited!!!

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Lol, I have a 10 gallon right now and I am already wanting to go to a 50 gallon or larger. I would reccomend you just save your time and money and wait till you can go bigger.

That, and its a lot easier to keep things in check on a 50 gallon then it is on a 20 gallon.

Just my two cents.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
TheCanuck;4123966; said:
Inverts will help your bio system if done properly. With your tank you should make sure to have your 20lbs of sand and close to that in live rock as well. Have good flow in your tank, i bought my 3125gph wave makers on ebay for 30$.. ones for you tank would be like 5 with shipping. I would stick with the pair of clowns and do some snails, and hermits. Don't overdue the snails and hermits because they need to eat, and they will die and hurt your bio load.

BTW once you upgrade to your 55, we will get into morays :D

Ill be so excited!!!
i planned on getting another 10lbs of sand...the live rock will be out of tanks that have been going for a few years at the lfs...they are down sizing their salt tanks an will have alot of rock for dirt cheap so i got some good timeing to save money...

i have been doing alot of research on moreys...:D...

Heathd;4124361; said:
Lol, I have a 10 gallon right now and I am already wanting to go to a 50 gallon or larger. I would reccomend you just save your time and money and wait till you can go bigger.

That, and its a lot easier to keep things in check on a 50 gallon then it is on a 20 gallon.

Just my two cents.
ya alot of people say to just skip the 20gal...me i say if i don't do the 20gal i will most likly never do the 55gal as i just keep finding oddball freshwater fish...also if i do the 20gal the my kids 'nemo' is taken care of...from what i read a blue tang can go with more fish the the clows can do to size...i haven't even got the clowns yet and the kids are already talking about getting 'dori'...my kids are great last night my daughter told my wife "we need to get some bigger tanks so we can get dori"..."we also are getting the blue arowana and more gar and more arowanas"..."and i am going fishing with papi" gotta love that...she is only 5 and into tanks, monster fish, and fishing...

Mazcote Yarquest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
New Hampshire
I have been keeping 2 Occellaris clowns in my 20L and they have taken to each other just fine, lucky I guess.

I had a BTA (Bubble Tip Anemone) which croaked after doing very well for about a month, my clowns never hosted it and maybe that's why, it got lonely:(

I also have various snails and crabs and a Coral Banded Shrimp.

Just buy the clowns at the same time and make sure they are Occelaris and not Percula, the percs look like Occellaris but get considerably larger.

Once I get my RO machine functioning properly I am going to try another BTA but for now I am not adding any more fish.

Anyway, go slow and keep researching.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i went and got a chunk of fiji live rock(that has been in the lfs tank for over 4yrs) and ten more lbs of sand...i also have a mated pair of teardrop ocellaris clowns on hold for me...they have had the pair for a few months, maybe like 6-8 months...they are doing great and a for sure mated pair...i am getting both for less then $100...

should i have some airstones in the filter or does the built in skimmer create enough o2?

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sbuse;4125291; said:
i went and got a chunk of fiji live rock(that has been in the lfs tank for over 4yrs) and ten more lbs of sand...i also have a mated pair of teardrop ocellaris clowns on hold for me...they have had the pair for a few months, maybe like 6-8 months...they are doing great and a for sure mated pair...i am getting both for less then $100...

should i have some airstones in the filter or does the built in skimmer create enough o2?
skimmer is enough. But you dont have a protein skimmer... You only have a filter with a surface skimmer. That is not a protein skimmer. You should have powerheads add enough that you should be fine..

You cycled the tank right?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
TheCanuck;4125516; said:
skimmer is enough. But you dont have a protein skimmer... You only have a filter with a surface skimmer. That is not a protein skimmer. You should have powerheads add enough that you should be fine..

You cycled the tank right?

i thought a protein skimmer was only needed for over 50gal?...the skimmer is just a built in skimmer on the biosystem75(witch i had herd that this filter as is has handled 55gal salt tank all by itself)...it looks like there is good full tank flow...if i have to i will add a powerhead or 2 if it needs it...i am cycling the tank right now...it has been going for 3 days now...one day clean...2 days(including today) with 10lbs of live sand and a raw prawn...and around 10hrs with the live rock and the extra 10lbs of live sand...

i have the fish on hold for me and i told the store i will get them after the tank is done cycling...i might be getting another chunk of established live fiji rock and getting some dry rock for it aswell...

how much establish live rock should i have in to start...and how much dry rock should i have to grow into?

i have the temp at 75.3f

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
That filter will not be enough to handle it unless you have 30lbs of rock alteast. I had one of those and it didn't run my 20g. The skimmer is not a skimmer, it just takes water from the top "surface skimmer". The filter will be able to handle it better if you put rubble rock in the back of the filter behind the fiter pads.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
TheCanuck;4127636; said:
That filter will not be enough to handle it unless you have 30lbs of rock alteast. I had one of those and it didn't run my 20g. The skimmer is not a skimmer, it just takes water from the top "surface skimmer". The filter will be able to handle it better if you put rubble rock in the back of the filter behind the fiter pads.
this filter alone handeled 3 4" freshwater rays in a 55gal...i would think it could handel 2 3" fish more so with all the live rock and sand...

what do you mean by rubble rock?...like ceramics? i have some bio-balls + ceramics in it now and 2x the reg media...i have lava rock i can add if that is what you mean...

right now i have 2lbs of fiji live rock and 20lbs of live reef sand...

how much seeded/established live rock should i have to start and how much dead/dry rock should i have mixed with it?

do i need a protine skimmer?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store