i am finally moving to salt...lil help

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
souljah2009;4128885; said:
dude alls i can say is u need to listen and stop wanting
wtf are you talking about?...have you read more then the first 3 posts?...i have valid questions and stated my exp with said filter...wanting to know how much seeded live rock vs dry rock is wanting to much and not listening...go play with you pokeman as you are not contributing to anything...

as to my reply to canuck i was refuring to the freshwater tanks i have done and how the filter has worked... i have herd from a few people that protine skimmers are needed on larger tanks and i don't need one...i have also heard that this filter would be more then enough do to the light stock...if he thinks that i need alittle extra filtration i will believe him as i have not done salt tanks before and he has...

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i added some 'smartcycle' for saltwater...i belive thats what it is called...i have some nitrites and nitrates comming in so it wont be to much longer and i will get my fish...if things keep moving along the way they are i could be looking at the end of the week...

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
in my opinion a protein skimmer is more important in a smaller tank than in a larger tank as the added protein that it is skimming out would spike a smaller tanks levels alot faster than a large tank. as far as the filter goes it wont handle what you think it will in salt water. you NEED quite a bit more live rock. i have something like 30lbs in my 20 gal. on top of the magnum hot pro HOB canister filter, spend a little more on the set up so you dont waste more on the stock is always a good rule of thumb when dealing with salt, it goes for fresh too just seems to me that you can get away with cutting alot more corners with fresh.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
and a side note the protein skimmer will move water and can be positioned to negate the need of a powerhead and add plenty of oxygen to the water since you were worried about needing an air stone. on a 20 gallon tank you can get a cheap protein skimmer off ebay for around $40 and it will work fine. i would shoot for one labeled to handle a 100 gallon tank for a 20, yet again spend a little more on the set up so you dont waste the money on the stock.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
perfect_prefect;4133009; said:
in my opinion a protein skimmer is more important in a smaller tank than in a larger tank as the added protein that it is skimming out would spike a smaller tanks levels alot faster than a large tank. as far as the filter goes it wont handle what you think it will in salt water. you NEED quite a bit more live rock. i have something like 30lbs in my 20 gal. on top of the magnum hot pro HOB canister filter, spend a little more on the set up so you dont waste more on the stock is always a good rule of thumb when dealing with salt, it goes for fresh too just seems to me that you can get away with cutting alot more corners with fresh.
perfect_prefect;4133015; said:
and a side note the protein skimmer will move water and can be positioned to negate the need of a powerhead and add plenty of oxygen to the water since you were worried about needing an air stone. on a 20 gallon tank you can get a cheap protein skimmer off ebay for around $40 and it will work fine. i would shoot for one labeled to handle a 100 gallon tank for a 20, yet again spend a little more on the set up so you dont waste the money on the stock.
i will be getting more LR before i put any fish in...i am just not sure on how much seeded LR to have to start vs how much dry rock for the tank to grow into?...as around me most places only have fiji live rock and it is starting at $10/lb vs dry fiji rock at $3/lb...i will be checking out another place that i get alot of quality fish for cheap to see what they got...

i have been looking at some skimmers aswell...i have noticed that most people/places say to have a skimmer no matter what size the tank is...i really would like to by things outright around me as i don't like to order online, though i have before...

i wont be putting the fish in before it is completely ready i was hoping to have everything by friday as the tank is cycling well and faster then i thought...i am getting what seems like a deal on the mated pair of teardrop occel clowns, but deal or not they are still around $50 each...i have seen a few other mated pairs of occel clowns for $170 and a mated pair of percilas for $230...

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
just picked up some more live rock...i will be getting the rest of the rock tomarrow if all goes well...i found a store where i can get a good bulk discount...if i get the rest at once i can get it for $4.99/lb...

i also found some live rubble rock...now if i get the amount that canuck said for the filter to be able to handle the tank...would i still need a protine skimmer?

on a different note i saw one of the future residents of my next salt tank...a zebra moray...it was one of the coolest fish i have seen in a long time...

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
ok i will get a skimmer then...i will still get the rock for the filter so have will have a stronger system...i am just tring to do this as cost effective as possible...

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
sbuse;4135891; said:
ok i will get a skimmer then...i will still get the rock for the filter so have will have a stronger system...i am just tring to do this as cost effective as possible...
fosterandsmithaquatics.com has a 40 dollar pump driven skimmer i use on my 55. It works great.

sericinda

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
North Dakota
sunkistbubbles.blogspot.com
Many people keep false perculas, dartfish, and certain gobies in nano-cubes together with no problems. It's a common stock list so I have to disagree with what others have said about some of you stock choice. As with ANY fish, sometimes they will get along, sometimes there will be problems. The best way to alleviate problems is to add the most aggressive fish last...the clowns. Dartfish tend to do better as singletons unless they are a mated pair from what I understand, and need a tightly lidded tank as they are jumpers.

My stock list for my 29g cube includes a pair of false perculas, a dartfish, a yellow watchman goby, a royal gramma and a clean up crew of shrimp, snails and various crabs. I have 30 pounds of live rock, 25 pound of live sand and no skimmer. I do weekly water changes. I'm one of those folks who doesn't feel skimmers are necessary. Nice, yes, necessary, no. To each their own.

If you are cycling the tank on live rock, don't add dry rock or my understanding is you will start a completely new cycle. Don't add dry rock after you have livestock in the tank. Stick with one or the other and do a complete cycle before adding any CUC or fish.

Mandarin gobies are gorgeous...and in my opinion should never be kept in a home aquarium. They are simply too hard to keep alive and all you will be doing is watching a gorgeous fish slowly starve to death.

If you have adequate live rock and water movement, there is no need for another filter. I have a stock biocube filter on mine, but the real filter is the live rock. Spend your money on live rock, at least 1.5 pounds to each gallon of water.

Are you using RO/DI water instead of tap? If you are using tap water, I would rethink that and do some research.

Inverts don't necessarily "count" towards the bio-load, BUT...they are there to clean up the space so to speak and there needs to be enough for them to clean up. My 29 biocube, once fully cycled, will start out with a CUC of hermit crabs, snails, and some cleaner shrimp. Reefcleaners.org will help you figure out a good clean up crew for your system if you email them.

Good luck! Patience is definitely the key in this hobby. Don't rush out and stock your tank the moment you think it's cycled...especially since you are using cured live rock, you may not see the same type of cycle you would normally see. Stock slowly and research EVERYTHING you want before you buy it. Don't listen to what the LFS tells you...they are out to sell you stock. My LFS tells me mandarins do fine in any setup and sell high-finned banded sharks to people with 20 gallon tanks.

If you plan to get corals, you will have to invest in better lighting. Clownfish do not "need" anemones, and they are very hard to keep alive. I would stay away from anemones at least until you have a much more mature system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store