I am very confused about coraline algae

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm no expert...but I feel like pulling a rock with coral growth on it out of the ocean may be a punishable offense lol.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Reactions: twcp

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Just buy a small rock that has coraline on it and brush it with a toothbrush every couple of days and it will help it spread. you can also add purple up or something similar. Make sure you dont get reef rock or real reef the color is fake.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Monster Aquaria Network App

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Isn't purple up just dissolved calcium?If so I can used some of my chameleon's calcium supplement w/ no D3 and put it in there.I was digging in the garden he other day to get some roots out and I have a couple chunks of concrete that are similar to reef rock.Can I cure these to use as live rock?

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
You can cure cement into live rock, however a piece buried in the garden could have all kinds of crap leached into it, I personally would pass. Use all live rock (expensive) or you can also buy dry rock from a lot of the online vendors (less expensive)
Purple up is a sham product I would never buy (my personal opinion only) all you have to do is keep your calcium, alk and Ph in line and have proper light to grow it.
I'm fairly certain it is illegal to collect rock on any US coast, and to be honest the life you will get locally is not tropical and will likely die off in a tropical tank. In California you have tons of rock coming in daily, just find a store to sell you a piece that is a pound or two, and put it in the tank with the dead rock or home made rock. In a few months you will be sick of scraping coralline off the glass and will wonder why you ever wanted it so bad.

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
You can cure cement into live rock, however a piece buried in the garden could have all kinds of crap leached into it, I personally would pass. Use all live rock (expensive) or you can also buy dry rock from a lot of the online vendors (less expensive)
Purple up is a sham product I would never buy (my personal opinion only) all you have to do is keep your calcium, alk and Ph in line and have proper light to grow it.
I'm fairly certain it is illegal to collect rock on any US coast, and to be honest the life you will get locally is not tropical and will likely die off in a tropical tank. In California you have tons of rock coming in daily, just find a store to sell you a piece that is a pound or two, and put it in the tank with the dead rock or home made rock. In a few months you will be sick of scraping coralline off the glass and will wonder why you ever wanted it so bad.
This right here. Go to reefrocks.net and order a box of rocks, that homemade stuff needs to sit for six month to a year in water to leach our the Ph. I'd worry about all the equipment first before coraline algae. I'm gonna start checkin in on this forum again, I'll post some stuff here that pertains to your exact situation later today.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Isn't purple up just dissolved calcium?If so I can used some of my chameleon's calcium supplement w/ no D3 and put it in there.I was digging in the garden he other day to get some roots out and I have a couple chunks of concrete that are similar to reef rock.Can I cure these to use as live rock?
I wouldn't put rep-cal or anything like that in the tank. purple up is a mix of calcium strontium magnesium and carbonates.I didn't know it was a sham thought it would be good to start with. I wouldn't use concrete. tufa rock is a good light cheap rock you can use. but I would get live rock you can add pieces over time, start with 2-3 pieces and add when you can. I currently use kent marine tech m magnesium, calcium, lugol's solution and strontium and molybdenum. kent marine has a reef starter kit that has calcium strontium and iodide.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
Is this a good deal? On craigslist I found an add for 15lbs of live rock, sexy shrimp, mini stars, royal gramma, salt, reef fusion, magnesium, test kit, and whatever else is left in the tank for $30.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store