I am very confused about coraline algae

Fishysweet

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2014
Virginia
Yeah thats not bad. I seems like rock gos from 2-3 bucks a pound on there.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Monster Aquaria Network App

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Reactions: twcp

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
That's a pretty good deal man. Maybe I missed this but seeding dead rock is the easiest and cheapest way but you can always add ammonia by throwing in some fish food to get the nitrogen cycle kickin and to get coraline algae, as long as alk and calcium are in check and you have bright enough lighting, purple coraline will spread everywhere. If you want the other colors such as green and pink you'll have to buy a piece that already has those on it and let them spread

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I think I will pick it up tomorrow or the next day if I have some extra money after buying a new mosaic female sugar glider and a normal morph male.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I JUST bought the portland cement and some sand that I think is from the ocean, it says monterey sand on the package.Can this be used as the dead ocean matter instead of aragonite? If so I can start molding.sand dumb.jpg

39af8afb-e970-44b9-b093-1533ad70ef8e_145.jpg

sand dumb.jpg

muttley000

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
West Unity, OH
I can't see on the web site where they say if it is silica based or aragonite based or what. I did see that they were taking sand from a protected area near the Monterey bay, but that doesn't mean anything now I guess. Maybe just give them a call. Even so you could use it, there are just some added benefits of having the aragonite based material like buffering capacity.

reptileguy112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2014
California
I used it and have many rocks now.I used the giant ice cream salt and the sand.The 2nd batch of rocks I made, I got some dead ocean mater from the beach in Monterrey and crushed it so that hopefully with help some as kind of the aragonite.

noimpact

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
california
Just grab (1) live rock or some live rock rubble from your LFS and then use with your faux rock. You can actually buy the faux rock now for 2.99 a lb and they sell a "seeding" formula... you might be able to just add the seeding formula to your tank per the instructions, but I believe it's required weekly or monthly if you use it to seed your tank. I'd go with the (1) live rock from your LFS. 2.99-7.99/lb isn't too expensive, and allow that to "seed" the others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store