I beat Mother Nature!!!

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Yuh, i promise you that the maroons will claim the anemone any molly whop and other clown that tries to get near it. Its not unusual for maroons to love on an anemone so much that they actually stress it/hurt it.

So, just say no to an anemone.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
I tried this not too long ago with my established pair of true percula clowns that wouldn't host the RBTA and I added a pair of Clarkii clowns. They got along for a little while and then when the clarkii decided to host the anemone (the 3rd day in the tank), the percs decided they wanted it as well. Both pairs began tugging on the anemone and actually ripped a few tentacles off it! Needless to say, I separated it, but the damage was already done and the anemone died that night. From that point on the Clarkii got no rest, and died a few days later from the damage the percs inflicted on them within 1 nights time. Maroon clowns are less aggressive as juveniles, but even still I would say the only clowns I recommend mixing are the ocellaris variations. I've had good luck previously with groups of 6 or more in the tank (added at the same time and as juveniles). As adults, Maroon Clowns are true terrors. My LFS had to take 1 out of their 1,000 gallon reef display because it was going after everything that came near its anemone. Even tangs over a foot long! They replaced it with 6 ocellaris (a pair of mis-bar, a pair of black and white, and a pair of regular color). Now the massive reef tank is peaceful again.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
Pyramid_Party;4321839; said:
Wait till they get a little bigger before you can officially say you got away with it. This is like saying you can keep an RD and oscar together. As Juvi's fine, but as they grow there will be issues.
x2, neither of those Maroons are mature yet so it's still up in the air if it will work. one of those "don't count your chickens before they hatch" scenarios.

remember the goal is keeping fish for their expected life not just short term, some people could say they successfully mixed a panther grouper and royal gramma for a short time too

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
snyder810;4339293; said:
x2, neither of those Maroons are mature yet so it's still up in the air if it will work. one of those "don't count your chickens before they hatch" scenarios.

remember the goal is keeping fish for their expected life not just short term, some people could say they successfully mixed a panther grouper and royal gramma for a short time too
Truth be told I don't believe this will work. As of now the clowns are new, but don't forget clownfishes don't only host anemones. They'll host anything including rocks, powerheads, heaters. Once they've chosen something to host chaos will most likely break loose and with a 55 gal there isn't much space

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
shua71;4339486; said:
Truth be told I don't believe this will work. As of now the clowns are new, but don't forget clownfishes don't only host anemones. They'll host anything including rocks, powerheads, heaters. Once they've chosen something to host chaos will most likely break loose and with a 55 gal there isn't much space
i agree with you, just because it's "worked" for a couple weeks doesn't really mean it's going to be successful for any length of time. hence my grouper/gramma example, sure that could work for a month or so if ya start with small specimens, but long run we all know what happens

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
I picked up a very mature maroon clown (about 4 years old and a solid 4-5 inches) and it "worked" for a day in my tank. My pair of percs got their butts handed to them, then turned and kicked her butt. The two percs are still young, yet paired. They wanted her away from their grass rock. When they are born, all Clown Fish are males. As they grow, the predominant male will morph into the female, and this fish will be the primary defender of the territory. So if they are all young, this is probably why, and its a matter of time before the harmony is disrupted.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
mamapuff;4340431; said:
I picked up a very mature maroon clown (about 4 years old and a solid 4-5 inches) and it "worked" for a day in my tank. My pair of percs got their butts handed to them, then turned and kicked her butt. The two percs are still young, yet paired. They wanted her away from their grass rock. When they are born, all Clown Fish are males. As they grow, the predominant male will morph into the female, and this fish will be the primary defender of the territory. So if they are all young, this is probably why, and its a matter of time before the harmony is disrupted.
They're actually unsexed. Most dominant becomes female and second most dominant becomes male

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store