I just wanted to throw this out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
I have seen quite a few "why is my ray climbing the walls of my tank?" threads, and I would like to shed some light on the answer to this "riddle".

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you have taken a living being, from the endless rivers of the amazon, and placed it in a TINY glass box (that you seem to think is "ample space" for them to "thrive") with little to no mental stimulation, that you expect them to be infinitely enthused with.

News flash. These are intelligent beings, with brains, JUST LIKE YOU.

Do you honestly think a glass box with a few pieces of rock and wood is going to keep them happy for their entire lives, let alone 15 minutes?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

Bee0912

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2009
Ohio
I do agree but:

My Motoro only does this when she is hungry or well i am feeding. She rides the bubble tower for fun:D

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
What is the reason for this post? Isn't the Gulper Cat you list in your tank setup going through the same thing? I'm just confused... obviously, we enjoy the hobby, and find it fulfilling, but there is the constant knowledge that if this animal were in the wild, it would either be dead or probably happier. We do what we do because it's what we can do... I don't have rays, but have many other fish... it's self-centered to take an animal from the wild for one's own enjoyment, and I recognize that, but you are doing the same thing the rest of us are. Try encouraging folks instead of making them feel guilty for keeping fish.

Tom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
justonemoretank;3675076; said:
What is the reason for this post? Isn't the Gulper Cat you list in your tank setup going through the same thing? I'm just confused... obviously, we enjoy the hobby, and find it fulfilling, but there is the constant knowledge that if this animal were in the wild, it would either be dead or probably happier. We do what we do because it's what we can do... I don't have rays, but have many other fish... it's self-centered to take an animal from the wild for one's own enjoyment, and I recognize that, but you are doing the same thing the rest of us are. Try encouraging folks instead of making them feel guilty for keeping fish.

I am trying to find the gulper catfish a better home for the same reason.

I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty. I am trying to bring understanding to those who are asking the question that I have mentioned above. It tears me apart to see my catfish pacing backing and forth, endlessly in my tank.

Bee0912

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2009
Ohio
Tom;3675081; said:
I am not trying to make anyone feel guilty. I am trying to bring understanding to those who are asking the question that I have mentioned above.
Yeah but you slammed me as fast as you could?

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
So you're going to quit keeping fish? I have an RTC in what should be a suitably-sized home; he eats out of my hand. In the wild, this would be a symptom of some sort of illness (Rabies comes to mind in mammals; with fish, I don't know). There definitely aren't RTCs eating out of folks' hands down in the Amazon. So I should quit?

This is what it is. We keep these fish and what we can do is provide what we can provide.

I just find it ridiculous to suggest on THIS website that the problem folks are having is due to the fact that they're keeping fish at all, which seems to be what you suggest. Since you are the "Stingray Aficianado," perhaps suggesting an appropriate tank size for the various species would be more constructive. Something, anything, other than telling people that "Your fish is chronically suffering." Because I care deeply about my fish, and spend a good deal of my time trying to convince people to care that deeply about theirs.

This is what we do. I am a fishkeeper, through and through. And if you want to tell me that it's wrong to keep them in a box, then I'd like to know what the heck you're doing here.

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
threads going bad already. already turning into the constant debate of tank size and behavior ideas...

justonemoretank

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
Virginia
I apologize for any derailment of the thread if that's what it seems like -- I'm certainly not trying to cause trouble, only to defend those of us who have chosen to turn this "hobby" into a lifestyle, and devote all of the time we can to keeping these fish. Again, I'm sorry!

Austin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2005
justonemoretank;3675115; said:
I apologize for any derailment of the thread if that's what it seems like -- I'm certainly not trying to cause trouble, only to defend those of us who have chosen to turn this "hobby" into a lifestyle, and devote all of the time we can to keeping these fish. Again, I'm sorry!
there are quite a few of us who are fairly devoted also, but just get tired of the constant "what should i add to my 55 gal tank with my 5 rtc and 3 arowana" threads. we all know the natural habitat is better, obviously, but most of us who are actually serious (read: not quitting the hobby because a fish dies and things like that, which seem to be the current trend) do our best. in the end it's just a hobby for most. not the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store