I just wanted to throw this out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCBARTELS

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2006
Iowa
heres a thought for you... my captive bread motoros dont know anything different. and yes they swim up the side when im near the tank. they know were there food comes from and greet me at the front wall of the tank.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com

Tom

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
justonemoretank;3675094; said:
So you're going to quit keeping fish? I have an RTC in what should be a suitably-sized home; he eats out of my hand. In the wild, this would be a symptom of some sort of illness (Rabies comes to mind in mammals; with fish, I don't know). There definitely aren't RTCs eating out of folks' hands down in the Amazon. So I should quit?

This is what it is. We keep these fish and what we can do is provide what we can provide.

I just find it ridiculous to suggest on THIS website that the problem folks are having is due to the fact that they're keeping fish at all, which seems to be what you suggest. Since you are the "Stingray Aficianado," perhaps suggesting an appropriate tank size for the various species would be more constructive. Something, anything, other than telling people that "Your fish is chronically suffering." Because I care deeply about my fish, and spend a good deal of my time trying to convince people to care that deeply about theirs.

This is what we do. I am a fishkeeper, through and through. And if you want to tell me that it's wrong to keep them in a box, then I'd like to know what the heck you're doing here.

I am not slamming anyone nor am I pointing any fingers. This is not a thread designed to do either. I love fish. It is my addiction, my hobby and most of all my passion.

I simply purposed my theory on why these animals are behaving this way.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Tom;3675055; said:
I have seen quite a few "why is my ray climbing the walls of my tank?" threads, and I would like to shed some light on the answer to this "riddle".

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you have taken a living being, from the endless rivers of the amazon, and placed it in a TINY glass box (that you seem to think is "ample space" for them to "thrive") with little to no mental stimulation, that you expect them to be infinitely enthused with.

News flash. These are intelligent beings, with brains, JUST LIKE YOU.

Do you honestly think a glass box with a few pieces of rock and wood is going to keep them happy for their entire lives, let alone 15 minutes?

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

intresting BUT my rays are captive bred and have never been in any river so i was just wondering how you explain why they climb the walls

dont feed the troll

AngusJB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
north east england
I bet if a ray or any other fish was able to fullfill all its feeding requirements (as thats all they do in the wild, look for food and a mate they dont 'play') in a 6 by 3 stretch of river thats where they would spend all there time in that 1 area, just because it doesnt represent the wild it doesnt mean they cant be happy.

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Umm, all fish including rays "play" - when my rays swim up the side of the tank, I'm pretty sure they're just playing. They chase each other around, swim over rocks like speed bumps, etc. Last time I checked none of my pets, including my fish were unhappy.

If your glass box is too small, buy a bigger one. Also, I'm confused where are all of these "why is my ray climbing the walls of my tank?" threads?

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
Tom;3675068; said:
Repetitive behaviour is a symptom of chronic suffering in captive animals.
Your in deep water my friend.

Do you have anything to back up your claims? A report? A study of stingray behaviour in captivity?

Mabye you should have started your sentence with "I think that..."

Random flaming is a bad thing Tom. :)

Read this, it might explain why stingrays love bobbels. ;)

http://www.zoovienna.at/e/rochen.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store