I started a crazy project - Big ray habitat

AlexG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2006
Hello,

great project !
I mean there are many possibilitys, the best is to remove the dirt before it comes into the "Biological" Part like a Wet/Dry tower, like u said.

The professional Koi-Keeper I know mostly use "Drum-Filters" to remove the dirt and then Big Wet/Dry Filter or Kaldness Moving Bed in the Nexus Easy Filter.

The moving bed Kaldness is nearly the best because the died Bacteria just fall off from the Material and can get filtered out then.
In the Wet/Dry Tower the dead Bacteria stays in the holes of your Media and won´t get out anymore.

Another possibilty is a Fleece-Filter, there is a German Company with great products for good prizes (www.genesis.de).
Their Filter includes putting the Dirt out and Biological Filtration in ONE.
But you have to remove the Fleece when the role ends and these are special ones and I think it won´t be easy to get that Filter in Malaysia and to get regular these fleece.

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hi Alex, Thanks so much for your information, it definitely help a lot in my decision making. I am still brainstorming about the best way to do my filter, and your inputs greatly appreciated. thanks a bunch.....

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
boony;1923955;1923955 said:
Have a slightly different take on filtration, nitrates removal and other ills from accumulated fish poo is handled.
Mine is an in-pond biological filter and instead of bio balls, bio rings etc, its merely a 30cm thick layer of granite chips, yes, they type used in construction. To keep the bacteria alive, underground pipes blow water through and upwards. As well, my pond is laden with around 20 different types of water plants, which in turn remove all the nitrates that the bacteria does not/cannot consume. So, apart from having the fun of having all the different water plants, the overall feel is an amazon river where even sensitive Altum angles thrive with nary one death in a batch of 10 i intorduced about 10 months ago.
While i have just 12 rays of different sizes ranging from 15 cm to 60cm diameter, have over 30 types of monster fishes in the same pond of around 40,000 litres.
Backtracking a little, biological filter covers half the pond surface.
In essence, i am far less scientific when it comes to filtration construction and rely on plants and natural bacteria to do the job. Even all the roof top gutter is planned such that it flows into my pond and by default, i get a massive water change evertime there is a downpour. I will be the first to admit that PH swings should be incredible, but for whatever reasons, it has always been around 6.5 and the variety of fishes all seem to have adapted.
Not sure if my "natural" system have mangled your ideas of how to make a better filter system, but consider using water plants in abundance if your setup allows.
BTW, you have one heck of a collection of rays, be it quality or quantity!

Regards
Boon
Hi Boon, thanks for your "natural" thought, i have the same set of mind, will be also plant a lot of water plant in my system and will be gathering rain water too, but my system will only allow water to come into the pond if the rain is heavy enough. small rain will just flow out from my rain collecting tools, it is kind of design to only overflow into my pond if the flowing rate is faster than certain rate.

is it possible you can show some of photo shot of your pond and filter? it may help me more by looking at the actual photo. thanks in advance.

FOX-P2

Banned
May 15, 2008
BRASIL
What a project, very nice, but how will you know or control which ray breeds with which or don;t you care?

boony

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2006
singapore
royalray;1924171; said:
Hi Boon, thanks for your "natural" thought, i have the same set of mind, will be also plant a lot of water plant in my system and will be gathering rain water too, but my system will only allow water to come into the pond if the rain is heavy enough. small rain will just flow out from my rain collecting tools, it is kind of design to only overflow into my pond if the flowing rate is faster than certain rate.

is it possible you can show some of photo shot of your pond and filter? it may help me more by looking at the actual photo. thanks in advance.
Not sure how photo shoot will turn out, but will gve it a go.
Alternative is that you pop by Singapore and have a look for yourself. Just give me a call 98186096 and we can sort something out.
I am away all next week and if for some reason you are visiting SG this weekend, give me a shout or we wait till next weekend.

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
FOX-P2;1924323;1924323 said:
What a project, very nice, but how will you know or control which ray breeds with which or don;t you care?
my project will end up with 6pcs 3.5m x 7m x 1m, 12pcs 3.5mx3.5m x 0.8m, 4pcs 2m x 9m x 1m, 10pcs 5m x 3.5m x 1m.

so i can plan my breeding very well.

FOX-P2

Banned
May 15, 2008
BRASIL
will you be able to know which ray breeds with which if they are all different types in the same pool together?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store