I started a crazy project - Big ray habitat

Lode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Netherlands
www.lode.biz
Probably any filter medium that has as much surface area as possible is good, as long as it doesn't affet pH. Be sure to aerate the dry filter tower as much as possible and the higher the better :)

Oh and yes my name is Lode :)

royalray;1914225; said:
Hi Buen, are you actually Lode? I saw your pearl ray new baby, very nice.... any chance to have some of them and let them swim in my new tank? hahaha... if you are selling, pls PM me.....

regarding the wet dry filter system, I have incorporate it in my system, for wet portion, i will be using the brush, like those they use in Koi filter system, as for the dry portion, what can i use? Bioball? or any stone from vocalno? or any other you can suggest? i need to consider the effect of PH on the material used. Is it better to keep the water at acidic PH or neutral or slightly alkaline? i understand that the PH is important parameter to the amonia and NO2. the higher PH, the more dangerous of amonia and NO2.

My system will be continueing jetting new water into the system, and continuous overflow out. with my total water capacity of 300,000L, it will be quite impossible for large volume water change.

I appreaciate very much for any valuable advice from you on this matter. as this is the most important part for the whole system.

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hi Lode, thanks for your input. for the wet portion, beside brush, what else can i use? ceramic bio ring? any suggestion? what about the dry tower? what is the best medium for this dry part? i am thinking bio ball. what advice? i will be building few tower for this, using 8" or 12" pvc pipe for this, will sprinkle the water from a height of 7 feet down. will aerate from bottom.

thanks a lot..... by the way, you got nice pearl pup, congrat again.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
bio balls be good..... you need lots of bio media with high surface area.... so maybe aquaticeco.com can help you ....

Lode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Netherlands
www.lode.biz
Ceramic is very good (for instance Alpha rock), but they say it may deteriorate in time. However, I haven't seen it in my system. Bio ring is good, but has much less surface. You could also go for a fluidized bed filter (donýt know if this is correct english).

The towers sound good, maybe one very big (high) one is better then many smaller ones. However several ones give redundancy.

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Thanks Nic and Lode for all the inputs and guildance.... appreacite very much.

I also think the bio ring is the best one, and it is difficult to clean. brush is easy to clean but not sure if the surface area is big enough or not.

what about bio sponge?

Hi Lode, what is fluidized bed filter, sorry i don't understand this. pls explain

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
:)

Aquarium fluidized bed filters are supplemental filters that can make a great addition to a large, heavily stocked aquarium. By "fluidizing" or suspending fine grained media in a column of water, they increase surface area and contact time for highly efficient biological filtration. Aquarium fluidized bed filters are ideal for planted aquariums, as they won't wear off your CO2. They are easy to maintain and you won't disturb your bacterial bed, which is a problem with some biological filters. Use caution: they are a potential nitrate hazard during long power failures.

Fluidized bed reactors use the same process to suspend chemical media in a column of water with the same boosts to efficiency, for advanced chemical filtration needs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store