I want Shell Dweller Cichlids!! and i have an empty 20 gallon! HELP!

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
I have recently developed an interest in little Shell dwelling cichlids :nilly:. But i dont know of any place that sells them or any one around me who has them. I have an empty regular 20 gal tank and i really want to use it for a colony of shelldwellers! Please help! suggestion of what breed with pictures! since i havent seen very many, and advice on care and any info would be awsome!! I dont want a real common one and i will pay a little extra for gooood looks! and if any one is selling let me know! Thanks in advance everyone!!

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
try cichlids.net and also aquabid. I'll have neolamprologus mutifaciatus babies here shortly..

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
Thanks for the sites! im not to the buying portion yet! ide like to see some pics of the ones you have! im not sure what kind i want yet. is a 20 gal a good sized aquarium for the smaller shelldwellers? will i be able to raise multipe generations in it? and how big do the mature males get?

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
Multies are my favorite. They form harem's. Where there is usually one dominant male to several breeding females. Each fish should have its own shell. 20g is just fine. I have mine in a 24g L shape. Males will get no bigger than 1.25-1.5". I can get pics..Might take a few

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
Thanks for the pics! the Haram sounds like a good situation but can there be other breeding pairs in the tank and will fry grow to adult hood without being removed from the parents? or the original tank?

KLee79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2008
Ohio
yep fry will grow up and take shells for themselves. and yes there can be other breeding pairs. just provide enough shells..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store