I want Shell Dweller Cichlids!! and i have an empty 20 gallon! HELP!

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
O wow thats really cool im not at a place where i could spend that much now but that is really awsome that u made your money back! do u do anything to keep the water hardness lvl up to the recomended amount i see on all the websites about shelldwellers?
i hear that. the wild adults are kinda pricey. but its worth it if you think about how long it takes them to mature. with F1 fry you can be waiting 3 or more years. they grow incredibly slooooow.
yes i just use baking soda (sodium bi carbonate) it keeps my tanks around 8.2 and they seem to be fine with that.

J.Lake

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Shipping shellies is pretty simple. I ordered countless batches from dave and never had one loss. I also come from a place where the water is naturally hard and is similiar to the rift lakes. Im sure fed ex would also ship you fish over night! Dave would ship my fish via fed ex untiill the canadian govt caught on and wanted their piece of the pie

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
Thats not bad at all. How many are you trying to get rid of and have you thought of a way i could pay you? i could just send a money order back to you when i get em u just let me know how much it was....?

Darkskies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2010
Syracuse, NY
I also have a 20 gallon long filled with over 100 shells and that is pretty much all ready for some multies. Is anyone willing to sell and ship them? I'm having a hard time locating a source..

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
Baking soda... really? do you just pour in some at the top of the tank? how much do you add?
wow they grow and get mature that slow????? how much is each fry worth since they take that long to grow.. do they go for much at such a small size?

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
yeh, i add 1 teaspoon for 5 gallons. i fill up a container with tank water and dissolve the baking soda in there before adding it to the tank. same method for adding anything to the tank like salt or what have you.
the fry usually go for around 12 - $15 at 1 inch. you would think they would go for more being as males take like 4 years to get 3 inches. slow growth on fish like that is why i choose to buy wild adults now. i spent years already growing out fish. nowadays i prefer to spend more money on adult fish.

side note, i looked in my sumbu spawning cave last night and seen that there is another 30+ eggs with tails!! seems their spawning every month now!

LEVI_L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charleston IL
THATS AWSOME!! yea i really enjoy watching fry grow to adulthood but it wud seem buying those as adults is the way to go!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store