I was just wondering....?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yes she kept up on them
Interesting,years ago I met a family friend who had some type of gar species.It was about ten or twelve inches and she supposedly had this fish in what looked like a twenty gallon tank for years.

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
Interesting,years ago I met a family friend who had some type of gar species.It was about ten or twelve inches and she supposedly had this fish in what looked like a twenty gallon tank for years.
You said something about stunning I often wondered if this could be done with saltwater sharks so they wouldn't outgrow their tank

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
You said something about stunning I often wondered if this could be done with saltwater sharks so they wouldn't outgrow their tank
Nope. The spinal issues that come with stunting will kill the shark. The swimming/glide patterns of an orv are specially evolved to fit into the glide pattern, hence when you disfigure the glide pattern the spinal cord is bent into a "hunchback" form and the failure of organs when stunted generally only speeds up the process.

moray eel man

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2016
Michigan
Nope. The spinal issues that come with stunting will kill the shark. The swimming/glide patterns of an orv are specially evolved to fit into the glide pattern, hence when you disfigure the glide pattern the spinal cord is bent into a "hunchback" form and the failure of organs when stunted generally only speeds up the process.

No i ment if you had say a 16ft ovel tank and you had a baby shark that would out grow the tank eventually

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
No i ment if you had say a 16ft ovel tank and you had a baby shark that would out grow the tank eventually
A fish doesn't stop growing when it should be done for the tank, it stops when nature tells it to stop.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
It's really a species of fish that doesn't belong in the hobby. At least not in the manner they are now.
It's sad. I knew a guy that seemed that like he wanted to be a responsible, decent fish keeper but because he just had to have it he bought an rtc for his 55 gallon. Kept it there for 6 months and fed it beef heart and goldfish. Managed to grow it out to close to 12".... He was then desperately trying to rehome it. He eventually passed it on to someone with a 125. Not sure what to happened to it after that.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
I believe the problem is mostly created by lfs who recklessly sell these type of fish and glibly tell customers that fish will grow to the size of the tank. In the uk there is an awareness campaign discouraging the stocking and sale of these fish, something the trade should actively embrace.

Reactions: ehh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store