ID THIS GAR PLEASE

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
Polypterus;860476; said:
my mistake here you do have a shorty..I correct myself when I'm wrong...
uhh. whats ur problem. i have 2 floridas and 1 shortnose gar. his looks extremely similiar to my shortnose gar. get the hell off my back. you came to your sensis and made a mistake, but i feel i deserve an apology for your ignorance. you went off on me for no reason. i stated what i thought it was compared to my already owned fish...

on top of that, the 2 links you posted are of a fish i found locally. not me asking to id what i thought whast my shortnose gar, the shorty i got is from la.

here's a few shots of mine:

and here's a video of the shortnose gar:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AdnYzX6N9oU

i still think its a shortnose gar.

100GAL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
RIGHT HERE
That does look like mine..but so far everybody is saying that mine is a florida.

By the way doeS that pacu (if that is what that is) pick on the gar at all?

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
i still say its a lightly colored florida.

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
100gal's gar is either a florida or spotted, i know that much, but i'm not expert enough to tell the two apart. I know Polypterus knows what he's talking about when it comes to gars, so if he's leaning toward florida, then i'll take his word for it.

pattern-wise (or lack of), your gar looks similar to ethnics' shortnose, BUT you can't just go with the pattern alone since that's highly variable and depends on a lot of things, the two species of gars have quite different body shape, and yours is that of a florida or spotted, and definitely not shortnose.

ZOO YORK 207

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2006
Frederick, MD
100GAL;861288; said:
That does look like mine..but so far everybody is saying that mine is a florida.

By the way doeS that pacu (if that is what that is) pick on the gar at all?
It is a Giant Gourami and I say Florida.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
its actually a giant gourami, and it never messes with the gars.

im comparing to patterns i guess. i have no idea why he called me an xpert as i never said i was. maybe im wrong, i was just posting my opinion on what it could be and posted pics as a comparison.

whatever it is, awesome fish. gars are great fish

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Infblue;861420; said:
the two species of gars have quite different body shape, and yours is that of a florida or spotted, and definitely not shortnose.
thats what i was thinking.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Shortnosed are distinctly different from Spotteds or Florida. They have much higher and thicker bodies than a shortnose does. They are very different fish. The fish shown by 100gal has no chance of being a shortnose. It is a typical stressed pattern Florida gar.

Ethnics.. I already stated I made a mistake and realize you have a shortnose.That I will take and will eat my words....Apologize hell no..You are constantly giving bad advise about these fish. I agree though awesome fish. gars are great fish

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Polypterus;862313; said:
Shortnosed are distinctly different from Spotteds or Florida. They have much higher and thicker bodies than a shortnose does. They are very different fish. The fish shown by 100gal has no chance of being a shortnose. It is a typical stressed pattern Florida gar.
couldn't resist getting into this post :)

i agree with polypterus completely; and i also would say it's a Florida gar...typical stress pattern, given the right conditions it will color up in a matter of several days to a week.

believe it or not, shortnose gars are actually relatively infrequent in the hobby, even though they are pretty cheap cost-wise--
--solomon

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store