Id this gar

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
^ they are also most commonly sold in the US IME as silver gar, rocket gar, and hujeta gar. Of course, we do know better, but its just a moniker. Most know they are not true gar

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
you make no sense! a gar is a fish while a tiger is a mammal if you see a tiger fish is a real tiger then your brain have problem. In other hand, people usually mistaken these pike for true gar due to their body shape similar to gar, but they are not gar, they are pike characin.
It makes perfect sense. Don't be a pedant. Describing/ naming an animal based on similarity, in some way, to another. If you prefer I could say a silver shark isn't really a shark. Or an electric eel isn't really an eel. The list is long I'm sure. Everything I have read about these fish, and every time I've seen them for sale they have had 'gar' in some form as part of their common name.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
It makes perfect sense. Don't be a pedant. Describing/ naming an animal based on similarity, in some way, to another. If you prefer I could say a silver shark isn't really a shark. Or an electric eel isn't really an eel. The list is long I'm sure. Everything I have read about these fish, and every time I've seen them for sale they have had 'gar' in some form as part of their common name.

so you say the tiger fish look like a cat? you need to go see a doctor ASAP.lol

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
so you say the tiger fish look like a cat? you need to go see a doctor ASAP.lol
That's not what I said and you know fine well that's not what I said. If you want to be a fool then carry on. Anyone with even 1 jot of common sense can see what I mean. Hujeta Gar because of the gar like features. Electric EEL because of the eel like shape. Tiger fish because of the stripes and teeth I assume. All or most know they are not actually what their common name implies. Another example? We all know they are not gars. But most non-stubborn rational people will accept that amongst other things they are commonly known as rocket/hujeta/silver/etc. gars. Because they have features similar to true gars.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
That's not what I said and you know fine well that's not what I said. If you want to be a fool then carry on. Anyone with even 1 jot of common sense can see what I mean. Hujeta Gar because of the gar like features. Electric EEL because of the eel like shape. Tiger fish because of the stripes and teeth I assume. All or most know they are not actually what their common name implies. Another example? We all know they are not gars. But most non-stubborn rational people will accept that amongst other things they are commonly known as rocket/hujeta/silver/etc. gars. Because they have features similar to true gars.

thing is every one know tiger fish is not a tiger, but lots of people don't know and don't even believe or want to believe that pike characin are not gar!

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
:popcorn:

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
thing is every one know tiger fish is not a tiger, but lots of people don't know and don't even believe or want to believe that pike characin are not gar!
Does everyone know an electric eel isn't an eel? Or a Moray for that matter? Its irrelevant. Facts are facts. Oft-times things are named for distinguishing features or characteristics reminiscent of different creatures. Whether a tiger fish looks like a cat is obvious... but it does have features reminiscent of a tiger. I personally think that Ctenolucius Hujeta is 'gar like' in appearance, so the common name is apt. Google the latin name and see what comes up. There are a whole host of common names, many incorporating the word gar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store