ID THIS LITTLE DAT PLEASE

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
wow a ST dat sounds great, but I would never pay that. Nor would a Fish Store make the mistake of selling me that type of fish for cheap. anyway I do love this little guy. ive always wanted to venture into the dat world and this is a great start. I do feel I paid a fair price I just like to be reassured by all of you ;) cause most of you know what you are talking about. I rarely see dats for sale in my area and if I do its a 3-4 inch for 60$. this is the first time ive seen one at this size. had to get it. that LFS only ordered 1 or I would have got more!

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
wow a ST dat sounds great, but I would never pay that. Nor would a Fish Store make the mistake of selling me that type of fish for cheap. anyway I do love this little guy. ive always wanted to venture into the dat world and this is a great start. I do feel I paid a fair price I just like to be reassured by all of you ;) cause most of you know what you are talking about. I rarely see dats for sale in my area and if I do its a 3-4 inch for 60$. this is the first time ive seen one at this size. had to get it. that LFS only ordered 1 or I would have got more!

I think you did well with the price and the fact you only got one dat. More than one dat involves headaches and stunted dats in the long run. If you add another now, your dat prob won't be happy about it. Gd luck with this guy

BTW, if anyone sees a baby ST for anything in the stratosphere of $300 please shoot me a pm asap. I have a empty 150 waiting for him

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
In an attempt to not let this thread turn into a back and forth off topic mess I had to erase some posts. Even those posts not necessarily involved in the back and forth had to be erased because they either referenced the back and forth or simply wouldn't make sense after the erasing of the other posts. Please stay on topic and not make the thread a personal back and forth.

NeonFlux

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Indonesian Datnoid.

You are also a Californian I see. Looks like Cali is getting a good number of indo dats at LFS's as of late. I know a good number of users here that got baby dats that are from CA. Mine is almost a month old got it at around 2 inches and doing well now.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I think you did well with the price and the fact you only got one dat. More than one dat involves headaches and stunted dats in the long run. If you add another now, your dat prob won't be happy about it. Gd luck with this guy

BTW, if anyone sees a baby ST for anything in the stratosphere of $300 please shoot me a pm asap. I have a empty 150 waiting for him
Dats should be kept solo when young or always?

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
My 5 have been together since they was 3/4 of a inch and so far they get along great 2 of them do everything together.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
They are said to be solitary in the wild which might explain their propensity to quarrel with each other when there are small numbers of them in the tank.I've seen it go both ways with young dats,some are active and outgoing as the only dats in the tank while others seem to be terrified to be alone and hide most of the time.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Like Jason is experiencing right now..it can work when young for a day or a number of years...but ime, it will break down and get nasty and the big and bold will eventually get the most food and others just simply will grow according to the amount they eat..One, maybe 2 will eventually reign for a while, then you sell the weak and now the 2 that barely fought start having trouble...I've never seen a case where this doesn't happen to some extent..The dats prob won't die, but will have lackluster bellies times splits in the caudal fins sometimes and many IT's, NTT's especially will suffer from "sit scared motionless in the corners or elsewhere syndrome"

It can be interesting to see them interact at times, but it's not usually a healthy experience for each individual in a square or rectangle box

I've never seen a multi dat tank (of any size) where both or all dats grew up together to monstrosity from small sizes and ALL have big ole thick bellies (which are necessary to reach goliath sizes imo)

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Good to know, glad they only had 1 or I would of got more. Now as for future tank mates any restrictions there? I was pretty sure they can be mean or aggressive at times. Currently in a 10 gallon with other baby red hump geos, and baby lake tanganyika cichlids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store