ID THIS LITTLE DAT PLEASE

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Ya got a good deal. Keep 1 alone or more than 5 together. Otherwise they bully the small one. I have 8, 15" Indos I grew out from about 1 inch. Mine eat massivors. It's easier to get them off live when you keep a large group together. After one started eating the others joined in like a feeding frenzy. After a couple feedings all were on pellets.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Good to know, glad they only had 1 or I would of got more. Now as for future tank mates any restrictions there? I was pretty sure they can be mean or aggressive at times. Currently in a 10 gallon with other baby red hump geos, and baby lake tanganyika cichlids
I wouldn't say there's too many restrictions when young cause there really not powerful enough to do much damage yet. They may chase though. Redhump geos should be ok cause those geos are pretty bold themselves. I had a gd group of altifrons with my dats and nothing really stops geos from constantly sifting the sand for food unless something demolishes them. Just when the dat gets big, the geos may have to be removed. Just keep an eye on things...I've always found that dats and cichlids aren't the best combo, but there's not much to worry about till the dats get big enough to hurt them

For now I would stick with what you have for stock since its only a 10gal, but large top dwellers and almost any medium to large bottom dweller should work in the long run. And remember dats can get up over 2feet in length if properly cared for, so a large tank will be needed way down the line

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Ya got a good deal. Keep 1 alone or more than 5 together. Otherwise they bully the small one. I have 8, 15" Indos I grew out from about 1 inch. Mine eat massivors. It's easier to get them off live when you keep a large group together. After one started eating the others joined in like a feeding frenzy. After a couple feedings all were on pellets.
8 15" indos...wow, where you been Egon?lol...Would love to see the group someday!

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I wouldn't say there's too many restrictions when young cause there really not powerful enough to do much damage yet. They may chase though. Redhump geos should be ok cause those geos are pretty bold themselves. I had a gd group of altifrons with my dats and nothing really stops geos from constantly sifting the sand for food unless something demolishes them. Just when the dat gets big, the geos may have to be removed. Just keep an eye on things...I've always found that dats and cichlids aren't the best combo, but there's not much to worry about till the dats get big enough to hurt them

For now I would stick with what you have for stock since its only a 10gal, but large top dwellers and almost any medium to large bottom dweller should work in the long run. And remember dats can get up over 2feet in length if properly cared for, so a large tank will be needed way down the line
I have a 30, 50, 55, 100, and 125 gallon tanks now already looking for 240-300 gallon. I got tons of tank space.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store