Idea's for stickies please

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
princess;1653511; said:
lol yeah! but we need the reef section here to be excellent! we should do the tank profiles thinks....listing size/fish bla bla bla i love that kinda stuff!
sweeTang21;1654252; said:
were you talking about what each individual has???

If thats what you were talkin about then i miss understod ya. Sorry. A reef chronical is someones tank start to finish. Talking about everything inbetween lol. Im thinkin about doing that with my new tank in june time because my tank is already pretty much done.

Just a thought....Is the blogs a better place to chronical this??? maybe..

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
How about treating salt tanks for diseases, virus's, bacteria, algae blooms...etc......Like ich or anything else...That would be a good sticky...Or would that still go in disease and health?

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
bigspizz;1639093; said:
Salty cycling, And I would like to know how to build a working low tech set up as apposed to the intimidating usual high tech that we see often :) Thanks!

I am honored to kick this off:headbang2

Salty cycling is done and posted....

Building a low tech setup..i have nearly completed a build i have just done of a 90gal reef on AC...So, once i have tweaked it, i'll bring it over here and post.....

cichlaguapote;1639115; said:
I agree. To be honest maybe lay out the basic formula for FOWLR as far as how much rock per gallon, a little talk on skimmers and other questions that come up with people just getting into salt. To make it less intimidating, lay out the ground rules. Like a "New to Salt?" or "New to FOWLR?" FAQ.

Possibly someone who knows how to build a simple SW setup for cheap could put together a small setup on paper to show the cost involved for like a 55g tank. Might get people to realize that a simple salt setup might be doable on their budget.

Also saltwater fish acclimation sticky(think Oddball covered it in a fish acclimation sticky in General Aquaria Discussion or Buy/Sell but wouldn't hurt to have it here too.)

Also breakdown of lighting needs for Soft Coral, Anenomes, etc. As far as wattage/bulbs, other considerations. Perhaps even a Invertebrete FAQ..

The basic formula one, i have near enough covered in my Common Questions Article.....However, i'll give that another review and happily add more on to that..

SW Acclimatizing Guide. Ok, easy enough to do....

sweeTang21;1642498; said:
IMO a good sticky in all saltwater threads would be water chemistry. The params you want and about were you want them. How to get them there and what not. You know that sorda thing. Just an idea

Water Chemistry....No problem.....

Kdcarey;1645448; said:
wow this is all great good shape up for the SW section. Reefscape i luv u your the rock of the SW forum. lol so good ideas for SW stickies 1. FOWLR Basics/ water parameters 2. What you need to get a nemo (lol sry needed 1) 3. Liverock hitchhikers/ What is live rock/ How to cure rock 4. Corals and lighting 5. MAyb SW cost 6. ID request 7.SW med treatment 8. ummm thts all i can think of

Bigspizzz glad to see you in SW and not in lounge lol umm frags are fragments of coral

1. Is again covered in the Marine Common Questions. .
2. What you need for a nemo.....My thoughts..To simply have a nemo fish, well, its just a straight forward basic FOWLR system, or even FO....Or, the have a tank with a Clownfish / Anemone sybiotic relationship is very different. I think a thread expalining it is ok, but, not really sticky material. My reason for saying that is because i would NOT recomend someone who is just starting keeping marine's to go out and buy an anemone, as i would prefer to see a tank mature, 9 - 12 months before introducing a nem. A very debatable issue...
3. Hitchhikers - Already there for everyone to use... MFK Marine Hitchhiker Directory ...The curing of live rock i shall add the Marine Common Questions.
4. Corals and Lighting - Needs some thought, as it could only be a general thread, as each and every coral has different needs..
5. SW Cost - Its a very general area, as everywhere there is bargains to be had, cheaper shops than others.
6. ID Request - We have a dedicated forum for this Disease / Injuries / Species / ID
7. SW Med Treatment - Ok, sounds good. We can write up all the "common" ailments of fish / coral / invert and the way to treat them / meds to use etc etc.

alcohologist;1649627; said:
it think this would be an excellent sticky, maybe it could include "cooking" live rock as well.

As above, i'll add this to Marine Common Questions.

sweeTang21;1650145; said:
ill second the full tank pictures thread. If you going to do anything about reef lighting make sure you include T-5, T-5HO and T-5 VHO, what the difference is and what corals can be kept with an average setup of either. Compacts, halides and of course regular flours.

Ok, as above, i'll give this some thought on content etc etc

princess;1650618; said:
i think there should be a sticky for all reef safe fish....by different people on here ...like an indepth guide to each thing...for example i could do one on my halloween hermit crab as i have one and have freshly reserched all about it ;)

Already done and found here Fish that "ARE" Reef Safe

princess;1653490; said:
lol thats sweet but most people take me as a joke ....would just be nice to do something thats actually adding something to this website....hmmmm i've been here a year and still don't have a sticky! lol

if anyone should have a sticky its you! at least you know what your talkin about

i could do a first time nooby starting a nano reef sticky...i have noted all my test readings and what i did for 2 month now! and i have pictures to go with it.....i havn't finished yet ...next stage is getting a fishy

Far from a joke in my opinion, from what i have seen, your a valuable member of the community...By all means Princess, get it written up, and send it over to me in PM or email....

bigspizz;1655343; said:
How about treating salt tanks for diseases, virus's, bacteria, algae blooms...etc......Like ich or anything else...That would be a good sticky...Or would that still go in disease and health?

Ok, as above, i'll give this some thought on content etc etc

princess;1655739; said:
who the hell reads blogs? i sure don't! booooring lol

yeah we need another section! like photo lounge but called reef tank profiles...then we could write a well writen peice about how we cycled our individual tanks and what fish we got/equipment and stuff like that! with pictures!

like the MFK articals on huge tanks only on reef tanks....i for one love reading stuff like that and if its got pictures even better! :D

dooooooooooooooooooo it

So forcefull.....LMAO ;)

So, so far we have our starting list, some done, some can be done, some, not really....What i would like to see also is maybe offers from people to help write the odd article. Were all a team here, and that means were all involved with the community, and things like this makes us better as that team....

Thanks for everyones feedback / responses.....

lizardfishman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Oregon
how diy projects specifically for sw? like turning an aquaclear into a 'fuge adn stuff like that. also, ive some diy plans for smaller (10gal-) tanks that use something like 1/4 of the tank as a filter compartment.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
i'm starting a new tank

maybe i could take pictures and do a "how to" thing?
like a walk through of setting up a tank with pictures etc..? :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store