Idea's Quick? Exterminating house, ? Fish

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
viciousconvict said:
generally, I would agree with delgado, because its pretty much the only surefire way, and rottbo's idea I think would also work, although I don't use powerheads in any home tanks, so i don't really know. but depending on how much time you have , you can set up an oxygen farm. Any tank 5+ gallons will do it. use some high quality substrate in the bottom of this tank, and fill it with tank change water, no filter necessary. then, put in as many cheap plants (java moss, jave ferm, etc as you can find. then, seal off both tanks with plastic, but first put a cheap air pump w/hose from one tank to the other, and seal it up completely, sealing the holes w/ caulk or hot glue. A nother length of air tubing should go froma Co2 farm to the o2 farm. a co2 farm is basically a soda bottle w/ sugar and yeast. This step (co2 farm) is optional. Be sure to cover the filter on the big tank as well. I cannot offer a guarantee on this method, because you are basically turning your tank into a microcosm for a short period of time, and it generally takes a couple days of adjusting the two tanks and testing the system to get it right. The more time you spend on it, the better chance of it working, because you have to fit the need sof your fish. Really, the best choice is to do as delgado said and just move the fish, probably the whole setup too. If you don't move the stuff, EVERYTHING MUST BE COVERED. I only use my oxygen farm for power outages.
I like the idea. I personally have also done the tank seal up, and drop the water level. Works great.

DeLgAdO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2005
Chula Vista, CA (San Diego)
www.myspace.com
rottbo said:
well if you drop the tank water you will have enough air trapped in the top to run a hose from your powerhead to suck the clean air in it works i have done it why would i say that it works if i havent done it..........man people are so negative on this site sometimes and dont want to consider different ideas..... and by the way he is in the mountains so there is really no other good way to do it
oh and i did it on my 110 two 55s a 29 three 10s and my ponds it works be more openminded you dont always know best just like i dont always know best but this works
hey hey i had work all day:(

:D

when you care too mcuh bout your fish, you REALLY narrow it down to the best possible way:grinyes:

milk_and_mallard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2005
san diego
God, people in these forums are retarded. I hope i don't have to work with any of you guys in the future.

You can't seal off your tank because the gas will seep through your seals and strip the oxygen out of the house. It's not a poison, there's two types of fumigations processes out there. Heat treament and gas, which isn't poisonous, but takes oxygen out of the house, so anything living there, will eventually suffocate. Having a powerhead or an airpump will do nothing since you're pumping nothing more than the gas that's around your airpump unit. But if you're thinking that airpumps actually pump oxygen into the water and that's how fish breathe, you're mistaken. It aditates and creates ripples on the water's surface, thus trapping oxygen and cirulating it throughout your aquarium. If there's no oxygen to begin with, then you're circulating the gas that's absorbing the oxygen, and you don't want that.

Your solution is to aska friend or a LFS to take your fish in; maybe transfer your stuff there or ask to borrow a holding tank for your fish. The treatment should last 48 hrs, that's how long mine did. I ran into the same situation earlier this year. My LFS owner did a terrible job at keeping my fish, and lost 50% of my stock due to poor maintenance. Needless to say, i haven't shopped there since, nor spoken to the owner. If you're setting up a that current tank that they're in right now, you should get bio cultures from your filter, so the tank will be more stable. Finally, you don't have to remove the tank as the gas isn't poisonous, but will kill anything living there because it essentially diffuses the oxygen out of your house. But isn't toxic.

viciousconvict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Raleigh
that's an interesting take on fumigation. especially because you are magically certain that his/her seals will not be airtight. let's look at a few scientific articles....
---------
The currently recommended methods for the formaldehyde fumigation of rooms have been studied with the aid of an instrument designed to monitor the temperature, humidity and formaldehyde concentration. The results show that although the procedures are generally effective as measured by microbiological methods the conditions within the areas treated are not those expected from calculations based on the room volume and the amount of formaldehyde used. The measured formaldehyde levels in particular are much lower than predicted and indicate that formaldehyde vapour may be effective at lower concentrations than previously supposed.
---------
formaldehyde? y'all know what that is? it's a poison, that's what it is. specifically, a mutagenic toxin with a STEL of 2 ppm at 15 minutes. And this is taken from NCBI. Perhaps you've heard of them? No? Perhaps PubMed? its one small part of NCBI. I would take their word on it.
---------
and, as any self-respecting entomologist will tell you, most insects can go into a dormant state in the absence of oxygen, and will revive once exposed to a natural environment. and,as the house os being fumigated for insects, the ahem, method that you say is universal will not be used.

and finally, correct me if i'm wrong, but are you and your six posts telling me that the fumigation works by pumping the air out of the house?

I don't appreciate being called retarded- I'm a PhD *cough, cough*

oh, and finally, welcome to MFK

viciousconvict

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Raleigh
oh, and, as any self respecting entomologist will also tell you, the structure of apian nests is labyrinthine, meaning that an attempt to 'diffuse the oxygen out of the house' will fail, because plenty of oxygen remains trapped in the nest.

of course I agree that removing the fish is the safest course of action, but still....do some research before you call several thousand people retards

delgado, you're probably right about the color. Who chose light blue anyway?! I liked the black. Now it's all...pretty.

fishnthings

" id rather be a goldfish "
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
Pensacola
viciousconvict said:
:nutkick: what were you saying about bashing other people's ideas? i'm the first one to point out my own flaws, but man, that was harsh. I've never noticed it stressing my fish. I bow to you in deference to your fish keeping skills;)
true... true... sry... very good idea;headbang2:

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
milk_and_mallard said:
God, people in these forums are retarded. I hope i don't have to work with any of you guys in the future.

You can't seal off your tank because the gas will seep through your seals and strip the oxygen out of the house. It's not a poison, there's two types of fumigations processes out there. Heat treament and gas, which isn't poisonous, but takes oxygen out of the house, so anything living there, will eventually suffocate.
You seem ignorant on the subject of fumigation. There are a variety of fumigation techniques out there. Do some research. There are MANY hazardous chemicals that can be released during the fumigation process. One such chemical is Vikane, which is considered to be relatively trouble free as far as fumigants go and is used in places containing valuables because it is relatively non-corrosive. The Vikane alone would likely kill fish, but if Vikane come in to contact with a heat source of roughly 500*F (i.e. pilot light, electrical elements, etc...) it will convert to hydroflouric acid and sulfer dioxide, which would be deadly to fish. Also, Vikane has a boiling point of -67*F, so if it is sprayed in a humid environment (i.e. room with an aquarium), a highly corrosive fog can be created. If this fog fell in to the water it could also be deadly to the fish.

Another technique which is used is the spraying of tear gas in to a house that is being tented to make sure there are no animals, pets, etc. remaining in the house before fumigation begins. So, there is much more to fumigation than the removal of oxygen from the environment. But I do agree with you on one point, getting the fish out of the house would be the safest thing to do.

As far as people on this forum being "retarded"... If you don't like it, don't post/come back. I think this thread has proven who is the more feable minded here. Oh, and as viciousconvict said, welcome to MFK :D

rottbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
West Des Moines, Ia
to the moron who posted that we are retarded i have tried the way i said and it worls never lost any fish and the whole house was bombed with fumes so if you wana talk smack save it till your gonna say it to some ones face punk...

and del i am sorry if i was sounding rude i didnt mean to i was just trying to get the point across that it does work and there are other ways of doing it but the way i explained does work

dacox

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2005
Illinois
rottbo said:
to the moron who posted that we are retarded i have tried the way i said and it worls never lost any fish and the whole house was bombed with fumes so if you wana talk smack save it till your gonna say it to some ones face punk...
:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: Amen, brudda.

Hey rottbo, all your fish survived right?? And how many of his fish did he have survive with his method? Was it just half of them?? Makes you wonder who is the real retard, cuz I'm pretty sure it's not us...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store