If you cant beat'm.. give up. my 120 Mn. Native tank rebuild.

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
thunderbird! read the thread, ill say this for the 4th or 5th time(not to be an a hole) the snails are not in the tank, or not seen in the tank. the snails are in my canister filter. my sun fish eat the snails in the tank im guessing thats why there only found in the filter.

Thunderbird7480

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2012
Oklahoma
thunderbird! read the thread, ill say this for the 4th or 5th time(not to be an a hole) the snails are not in the tank, or not seen in the tank. the snails are in my canister filter. my sun fish eat the snails in the tank im guessing thats why there only found in the filter.

Apologies. Long thread and I admit I skimmed it and missed the part where the problem was JUST in the cannister.

Too bad you had to start over with it.

kenhamson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2012
Philly PA
yo man i love the whole thing youve got going
i used to have a PA native tank and i think im gonna bring it back
minnows, crayfish, sunnys, bluegills and maybe a small trout. hard to do cuz they like the fast water though.

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
yo man i love the whole thing youve got going
i used to have a PA native tank and i think im gonna bring it back
minnows, crayfish, sunnys, bluegills and maybe a small trout. hard to do cuz they like the fast water though.
put a couple of these in there( http://www.aquariumguys.com/koralia-magnum-5ul.html ) you can get a lot of water moving for a trout.

glad to hear more people are getting back into natives, i find pet store tropical boring, everybody has them.

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
owain I think we are on the same page with fish keeping..lol

Real funny Egon, sadly its gona happen again.. my fave is the ridiculous idea of putting lettuce in a bowl in the tank!!! even if it does catch a few its like the US throwing rocks at al qaeda to end the war..

TurtleBear

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
New Hampshire
I appologize if this is redundant (I did read everything) - my suggestion is to soak the entire filter setup in methylene blue next time you do a major cleaning. You'll kill off any invertebrates it touches while maintaining the beneficial bacteria colonies (I'm pretty sure it doesn't kill bacteria. Not 100% though). I had a turtle tank a few years ago that got mobbed by snails, and I kept M-Blue in the tank for about 3 weeks and they never came back. Didn't have to strip it down & bleach or anything like that, just kept dosing the water as if I was treating ich and it worked like a charm.

Also - very nice setup!! I'd LOVE to have a bunch of natives with my snapping turtle but it's a just bloodbath waiting to happen :ROFL: Looking forward to more pics, I'm def subscribing to this thread!

Hope this helps & best of luck to you sir!

The_Nuge

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2011
St. Paul Mn.
I think im just going to throw out and replace all my filter media scrub and bleach the filter and parts. i tried that blue stuff over a year ago when the problem started and it killed off all my live plants. plus it dyes everything blue. if its the same stuff im thinking of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store