If you use a Python Water Change system, then I have a question for you..

cali~budfish

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2008
Sacramento
I shut my filters off when I do it and I usually don't dose for the whole tank. Imo prime isn't that expensive and one bottle lasts me for maybe three or four months. Oh and I run the hose out the front door and gravity feed the syphon. But it sucks if you can't do it that way and have to have the faucet running while you vac cuz it wastes a lot of water.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

BONDO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
MADISON WI
I have used a python since i began keeping aquaria, the only problem i had with it was the water conpumtion siphoning. now all i use the faucet attachment for is fillin and getting the siphon started, the siphon isn't as strong but you dont waste as much water. and i also clean my bio media with tap water and have never had any ill effect.

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I just turn my filters suck the water out, put declorinator and fill it back up and let it sit for 45 minutes or so before turning back on the filters. When cleaning filter media I just use aquarium water drained into a bucket so I do not kill the beneficial bacteria.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store...flypage-3266&gclid=CMPMv9_oi7UCFYpFMgodPTgAHQ
Is what I use, Granted I only have two tanks setup for some time now but it treats 2500 gallons and I have never had any problems with it. Depending where your tank is and the height of it I normally run a 50' tube/hose, whatever, outside my house to drain with and this way I don't waste any water siphoning it out with the faucet and it's good for plants with the fish waste in it. Filling up a 55 with buckets was enough for me to want to use a better way. When I had 700 gallons of tanks up and running even the python wasn't enough and a large reason why I don't keep as many fish (not enough time)

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I bought an $8 jar of safe over a year and a half ago and I'm only halfway through it. That's with doing a 50% WC weekly on my 110G and dosing safe for the entire volume. I spend more in a week on food than I do on dechlor for an entire year. I also use my python by turning the sink on to get higher suction to remove all the visible waste, then I shut the sink off and let the syphon remove the rest of the water. It's a little slower but I'm not wasting extra water either. When I go to refill I start to add the water back in and then slowly dump the safe and my salt right into the water flow so it gets mixed immediatley. Never had a problem doing it this way.

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
As far as cleaning your media in tap water, it is dependant on your water. Well water or water very low in chlorine/chloramine you are fine to do so. Back when I had well water I loved it for that reason, never had to do anything to it and never had problems.

California Convict

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2012
Lancaster, California
Honestly I drain 50% and start filling back up and dose for half the tank volume and then wait till it fills up to 75% then add more and one last dose when it starts going into my overflows. Never lost a fish and they never get stressed. My loaches love water changes.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yep. I pretty much add three caps of prime which is good for about a 150 gallons when I do a WC on my 125. I do one cap and the start of the fill, a cap halfway through, I add the last cap when the tank is filled. I have had no problems doing this over the last two years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store