I'm at a loss on this one

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Any ideas on how else to get ammonia out of the water? I'd grab an ammonia remover but of course all the pet stores and LFS are closed now because it's Sunday :irked:
I know seachem prime is supposed to have an ammonia remover in it. But if you don't use that as dechlorinator then that's no help lol.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
I think medications create more problems than remedies.(mainly because they are used improperly). Some tetras do have genetic issues, something to consider. You are testing for nitrites and nitrates right?

k13k07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2014
Florida
Yeah, that came out of my tap :swear:

Yes I tested for nitrites and nitrates yesterday, I keep getting them mixed up but the one that's supposed to be a 0 was 0 and the other was 40 ppm, which the test kit says is normal. The main problem with using the meds was I wasn't sure what the sick one had (he looked like he swallowed a marble on one side, had white poop, looked like one eye was bulging; it was just plain weird) and I couldn't find anything at all to explain what was happening with him, everyone I asked had never heard of what I was describing, and the one person who had any clue thought it sounded like a tumor.

I double-checked my chlorinaters and found that the one I use for my betta removes ammonia as well :D downside is I only have about half a bottle, probably enough to treat 5-6 gallons of water. So for now I'll have to use some bottled water and rush to the store after work to get more *sigh*

k13k07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2014
Florida
And thanks for the heads up about the PH of bottled water - I got spring water and drinking water, on the low end the ph reads 7.6 and on the high end 7.4. I like to keep my PH between about 7.4 and 7.8 so it's perfect :headbang2finally some good news.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
How old is the test kit? Test the bottled water for the hell of it. If it reads ammonia too then you know the test is wrong. I can't imagine that's coming out of your tap. Google your local water quality report and see what it says.

k13k07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2014
Florida
I bought the kit in October 2014. The date on both ammonia test bottles says 05/2019. I tested the bottled water, and it came out yellow - which is 0. I couldn't believe it was coming out of my tap either :irked: I looked for the report, and they have one for 2013, 2014 will be out by July, but it has no mention of ammonia

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I would give them a call tomorrow and ask about this.

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
Zeolite is a good way to remove ammonia or partial water changes. The ammonia is removed gradually. Be sure not to use zeolite if you have salted your tank,

k13k07

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2014
Florida
Oh I'm tempted to go to the office and have a good word or two :angryfire
I started doing gradual water changes, just in case I shock them (the water from the store was super cold so I'm mixing it with my warm, now de-chorinated AND de-ammoniated water) and already they're acting more normal - my angels are trying to nibble on my fingers (and the troublemaker is back to trying to eat the snails:D) and my tetras are starting to come out of hiding :grinno: with a two gallon change it's already down to .5 PPM. I'm so relieved and thank you all so much for the help!I really appreciate it. I'm not done yet, once the ammonia is gone I'll have to deal with the diamond tetra's problem, thankfully I caught that

GreenTerror7

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
So cal/ LAX
Although I'm visualizing it, I cant say its the same thing that happened to my Nicaraguan because I don't know what yours looks like. But my Nicaraguan had what looked like a pimple (I think it was a cut) and I "treated" the tank with salt and sprinkled a tiny bit of salt right on the little pimple/ cut and it was gone in a couple days. I'm not sure if its the same thing because my guy had no change in attitude except he wasn't eating from the surface anymore but was still active. I'm not sure if sprinkling salt directly onto your fish is bad but look into it and if it's okay; I would give it a shot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store