I'm New and I have a Question

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
There are some nice and manageable saltwater groupers. I don't know how long Murray cod take to grow but if you want to upgrade in a couple years maybe you can keep one of those?

Skalper666

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2009
NS, Canada
A 75G will be too small for one Oscar fish? I used to have one in a 20G tank. A tiger Oscar will only grow to 10" in captivity, right?

I was watching the monster fish on Wild Life, it was all about grouper fish. Damn those fish can get so big!
Oscars should not be kept in anything smaller than a 75g, unless it is a juvenile. My last oscars were all 12-13", I think they can get up to 14".

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
The smallest and most commonly available true grouper as far as I know is the White Spot Grouper /Epinephelus summana. Summana grows to around 12 inches and IMO should be okay in a 75. Also as far as I know there are no freshwater groupers and the only grouper to be acclimated to freshwater are the Bumblebee Grouper/ Epinephelus lanceolatus mentioned previously by kno4te. Wes/fugupuff a member and Vendor on here(his vendor section is called Rare Fish) has offered them before being kept in pure fresh. However Bumblebee Groupers are one seriously big fish. They can grow to about 9 feet and 800 pounds and may even be the one of the Groupers you saw that made you interested. They're quite beastly even being known to prey on sharks.

I'm no expert though and if you want some good suggestions and info about small saltwater groupers this thread would be better off in our saltwater section. If you want I can move it for you and see if you get more suggestions there.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
I have seen some photos of a salt water grouper and they are beautiful. I had reef tank before and the maintenance cost on a salty tank is much higher than maintain a fresh water aquarium, particularly the amount of sea salt needed for water changes. I'm not sure how much and how often w/c does it need for a grouper tank. I am assuming it's alot since grouper is messy fish.

Yes, please move this thread to salt water section since you have confirmed there are no fresh water grouper except for bumblebes. Thanks

Holdenon5

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks for your reply. I just Googled gulper catfish and I don't like it. It does not look good.

I like Asian aro, but it is illegal here in the state and the price is ridicules. I thought about Pirahnas, but they are shoaling fish and need a big tank as well. Its like all the fish that I like are I can't have. It sucks.

So you guys sound like there is no fresh water Grouper out there? I was thinking about Tiger Oscar, but that's cichlid family and it's pretty common as well.
Only the Pygocentrus family of piranha need to be in schools. Serras on the other hand are solo. A black piranha would be good in a 75 for awhile. They grow slow.

Rio Kaiju

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2014
Lost In Space
Hi All,

I have a 75G tank and I have been keeping both salt water and fresh water aquarium for a long time.

I am running out of ideas on what fresh water can I keep. I want something special.

Currently I have discus in my 75G tank.

I was researching Grouper fish. But I could not find any fresh water grouper fish or any grouper fish that won't group too big.

Any idea or suggestions? Thanks
Groupers are the Parachromis of the sea. Get a V-Tail. They sit most of the time, but once in awhile mine attacks the glass, when he wants the lights out or is hungry

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
V tail is a salt water fish. Like I said the sea salt is getting very expensive. I have not yet decided to jump back in salt water. How much is a 5G bucket of Red Sea Salt now?

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Will red belly/yellow belly piranha survive when keep them in 1 or 2 in a fish tank?

Will black diamond piranhas fight each other to death when there are 2 or 3 of them in a tank?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
V tail is a salt water fish. Like I said the sea salt is getting very expensive. I have not yet decided to jump back in salt water. How much is a 5G bucket of Red Sea Salt now?
Totally understandable, so you definitely want to go fresh now right? Because of the cost of maintaining salt is no longer feasible for you? Then tell us what attracted you to groupers so we can offer a freshwater alternative. Is it their predatory nature? Their coloration? Their body shape?

Will red belly/yellow belly piranha survive when keep them in 1 or 2 in a fish tank?

Will black diamond piranhas fight each other to death when there are 2 or 3 of them in a tank?
Red Belly P's are very skittish even in a group. So a single specimen probably won't be very entertaining since it will probably hide often or at very least dash away feverishly upon your approach for a long time. 2 Red Belly P's won't be much better and will have no one but each other to target and one will probably be picked apart slowly. First some fins then some scales then an eye will go missing until the sub fish expires.

Black Rhombs grow too large for a 75 so you can't keep one for life in there. However they grow at an exceedingly slow pace so you can maintain one for quite awhile in your 75. Me personally though wouldn't want a fish that I spend raising and growing attached to as he turns into a beast and then having to sell.

IMHO your best bet if you go P is Sanchezi or Elongatus. Sanchezi grow to around 7 inches and have a fairly typical P body. IME though they can be a little skittish. No where near Red Belly's but since I think you're looking for a seriously aggressive predator I think Elongatus would be best. They are fairly aggressive(that includes toward you so watch your fingers during tank maintenance), quick and agile predators. They can get to 12 inches but are usually much smaller in the aquarium. They need fast flowing water as well so make sure you have plenty of powerheads or the like to create current.

The following pics are from a Vendor on here who sells P's.

Sanchezi

Elongatus

Reactions: Rio Kaiju

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks Koltsixx. I am getting very good information from you regarding piranhas and it saved me a lot of time researching.

Well, I guess I will stick with my discus for a while unless someone recommends a fish that interests me and suitable for my tank size.

Seriously, I had many different type of fish before, just like to have something new and special. I will be a little patient. Hopefully I will find a fish that I really want/ can have one day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store