I'm New and I have a Question

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Where do I find a nice website that has photos and information about fresh water fish that can be kept in home aquarium?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Thanks Koltsixx. I am getting very good information from you regarding piranhas and it saved me a lot of time researching.
No problem, glad I could help.

Where do I find a nice website that has photos and information about fresh water fish that can be kept in home aquarium?
MFK has pics and info in our sticky sections, if your a catfish fan then you should give Planetcatfish a try and Seriouslyfish are just a few that come to mind. The truth is there is a plethora of info out there it's just that some of it sin't accurate and sorting through fact and fiction isn't always easy.

Again I say you would make helping you so much easier if you explained what attracted you to groupers. I even gave a list to help yoyu narrow down what it was. Otherwise helping you even suggesting appropriate sites for you to research is difficult.

I'll offer one more suggestion. The fish is rare(you'd be one of very few that keep them), an impressive predator, grows to around 12 inches according to most text(though I believe in nature they can hit close to 2 feet) and can be sourced right here on MFK through Wes/fugupuff of RareFish. Here's a pic of one of mine it's called Siniperca Scherzeri. As a matter of fact if you click my sig you'll get sent to my thread of pics and you can look through there and I'll help you if you want to know about any of the fish I've had.

Siniperca Scherzeri
CIMG1025#5.JPG
IMG_9802#3.JPG
IMG_9840#2.JPG

Rio Kaiju

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2014
Lost In Space
Totally understandable, so you definitely want to go fresh now right? Because of the cost of maintaining salt is no longer feasible for you? Then tell us what attracted you to groupers so we can offer a freshwater alternative. Is it their predatory nature? Their coloration? Their body shape?

Red Belly P's are very skittish even in a group. So a single specimen probably won't be very entertaining since it will probably hide often or at very least dash away feverishly upon your approach for a long time. 2 Red Belly P's won't be much better and will have no one but each other to target and one will probably be picked apart slowly. First some fins then some scales then an eye will go missing until the sub fish expires.

Black Rhombs grow too large for a 75 so you can't keep one for life in there. However they grow at an exceedingly slow pace so you can maintain one for quite awhile in your 75. Me personally though wouldn't want a fish that I spend raising and growing attached to as he turns into a beast and then having to sell.

IMHO your best bet if you go P is Sanchezi or Elongatus. Sanchezi grow to around 7 inches and have a fairly typical P body. IME though they can be a little skittish. No where near Red Belly's but since I think you're looking for a seriously aggressive predator I think Elongatus would be best. They are fairly aggressive(that includes toward you so watch your fingers during tank maintenance), quick and agile predators. They can get to 12 inches but are usually much smaller in the aquarium. They need fast flowing water as well so make sure you have plenty of powerheads or the like to create current.

The following pics are from a Vendor on here who sells P's.

Sanchezi

Elongatus
I know he's chilling for the moment, but I have to say, I like your suggestions. An Elongatus is more like a shark. It glides around the tank and threshes its food. And a Sanchezi is just as aggressive, but in a miniture Rhom kind of way.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Guys,

Thanks for all the photos and helpful information. I really appreciate all your willingness to help. I may upgrade my tank from 75G to 150 or even a 180G. The only concern is I live in an apartment and I am on 5th floor. Would the wood floor be able to hold the weight of a 150G or 180G. I think a bigger tank will give me much better options in terms what type of fish I can keep?

Anyway, the reason I like grouper is because it's size, color/pattern, body shape and the way it feeds. It basically sucks in prey along with a lot of water. It's so good. I like big fish, but 9' and 800 lb is too extreme. LOL

The fish pic shows siniperca scherzeri seems to be a cool fish. I've never seen one before. Is it a cichlid?

So I should look in the sticker section of general discussion? where is that sticker section are you referring to, Kortsixx?

Sorry guys, I do not like puff fish or shark. I like arowana particularly the Asian one cuz it's coloration and scale arrangement. The Jordini arowana and silver one can 't compare. I don't like the really skinny long type body.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I know he's chilling for the moment, but I have to say, I like your suggestions. An Elongatus is more like a shark. It glides around the tank and threshes its food. And a Sanchezi is just as aggressive, but in a miniture Rhom kind of way.
Thanks man.

Guys,

Thanks for all the photos and helpful information. I really appreciate all your willingness to help. I may upgrade my tank from 75G to 150 or even a 180G. The only concern is I live in an apartment and I am on 5th floor. Would the wood floor be able to hold the weight of a 150G or 180G. I think a bigger tank will give me much better options in terms what type of fish I can keep?

Anyway, the reason I like grouper is because it's size, color/pattern, body shape and the way it feeds. It basically sucks in prey along with a lot of water. It's so good. I like big fish, but 9' and 800 lb is too extreme. LOL

The fish pic shows siniperca scherzeri seems to be a cool fish. I've never seen one before. Is it a cichlid?

So I should look in the sticker section of general discussion? where is that sticker section are you referring to, Kortsixx?

Sorry guys, I do not like puff fish or shark. I like arowana particularly the Asian one cuz it's coloration and scale arrangement. The Jordini arowana and silver one can 't compare. I don't like the really skinny long type body.
Whether your apartment can take it or not depends a lot on it's construction. I'm no expert but there are those on here who can help you if you had more info about your apartment. I recommend starting another thread specifically for that query though.

Siniperca Scherzeri are a kind of perch. They are a lot like groupers in the respect that they kind of suck prey in. So body shape and feeding pattern are a match. As for not seeing them before I'm not surprised. Google nets very limited results when you put in the name and even on MFK there aren't many who've had or have a Scherzeri.

There are stickies in every section. You'd have to check them individually. For instance a sticky on CA/SA cichlids would be in our CA/SA cichlid section. Here's a link to a CA/SA cichlid sticky for you
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ca-sa-profile-thread.160496/

Unfortunately because your in the US Asian Aro's aren't an option as they're illegal here. A Jar or Lei is the closest you can get body wise to an Asian here. Again I also offer my own thread which features fish I've owned as a possible source for good pics at very least. By the way since you liked the Siniperca you may also like one of my favorite cichlids- Crenicichla/ Pikes. Here's some pics of mine.

img_5194#2.jpg
IMG_2593#3.JPG
IMG_4211#2.JPG
img_4511#3.jpg

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
Thanks man.

Whether your apartment can take it or not depends a lot on it's construction. I'm no expert but there are those on here who can help you if you had more info about your apartment. I recommend starting another thread specifically for that query though.

Siniperca Scherzeri are a kind of perch. They are a lot like groupers in the respect that they kind of suck prey in. So body shape and feeding pattern are a match. As for not seeing them before I'm not surprised. Google nets very limited results when you put in the name and even on MFK there aren't many who've had or have a Scherzeri.

There are stickies in every section. You'd have to check them individually. For instance a sticky on CA/SA cichlids would be in our CA/SA cichlid section. Here's a link to a CA/SA cichlid sticky for you
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ca-sa-profile-thread.160496/

Unfortunately because your in the US Asian Aro's aren't an option as they're illegal here. A Jar or Lei is the closest you can get body wise to an Asian here. Again I also offer my own thread which features fish I've owned as a possible source for good pics at very least. By the way since you liked the Siniperca you may also like one of my favorite cichlids- Crenicichla/ Pikes. Here's some pics of mine.

View attachment 1163065
View attachment 1163066
View attachment 1163073
View attachment 1163074
Thanks for posting the pics. Those fish has very nice color in the photo. I have seen a few pipe fish in my local fish store. It's color is not nearly as beautiful as the one in the pic here.

I have posted a new thread in set up. Hopefully someone will help me on that topic.

32Bit_Fish

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2016
I couldn't find Wes/Rare Fish on here, nor on google.

Is Wes/Rare Fish member name? Do they have a website?

Thanks

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Thanks for the link. I don't see any of his recent sale post. I guess winter is slow for him?
He's probably working on building up a stock list from his suppliers around the world and getting all the import papers completed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store