In your fish keeping experience how often has a "impulse fish buy" worked out?

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
Maybe I should re-phrase my original post: "Impulse buy" - meaning you know not much about the fish, and aren't really thinking about long term care requirements.

I dont think I've ever done this.

Lots and lots of impulse buys, fish or herps... but never something I didnt know 100% that I had the resources to care for properly.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
lol, funny, 2 years ago I had a 10g tank laying around, my youngest boy asked if he could get a fish for it, i said sure thinking a gold fish, off to the LFS we went. well we came back with a little Oscar and a bulls eye cat fish, being the internet search type guy i looked them up after the fact, woops!!! not the type to return, you bought it you own it and do whats needed to house it. this lead to a 30g, to a 75g to a 90g to a 180g, now have 5 tanks. Oscar a big boy in the 180, 90 is the jag tank for now, both WC and working first brood. 75g is my JD tank, pair on 3rd brood, the other 75g, yes there is another, wifes tank is the alphabet soup tank, barbs, tetras, danios. surprising where a impulse buy can take you.

EricJ7182

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2011
Jersey
Almost every impulse fish purchase I've made has ended in me later trading or selling the fish. Plus my Cichlids must not like New friends bc they also have picked off a few newbies too :/

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
I'll admit I bought a clown knife because of the user here named C L O W N K N I F E lol. I was lucky enough to have it work out.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
now? knowing what i know from reading every article I could find on oscars and water quality and any fish I am thinking about? there are no impulse buys. I made my mistake with the first 2, now its my hobby and Oscar my buddy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store