Indo Dat Breeding Question.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Thanks thaiho (vietnamese for ST) for sharing the links/info...

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
if all these baby IT dats were all wild caught at these tiny sizes (as thought by the majority here), the specie is going to be extinct soon for certain.

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
so do you really believe those baby dats are all wild caught?
Yes. A poster from indo explained how it happens a while ago.

Thaiho while your pictures and video are interesting, they don't prove anything. I found out a while ago that the scientific breeding facility at bungborapetch nakornsawan was able to differentiate male and female st. They also said they had bred st at scientific level successfully, but that success was very limited. Breeding dats will happen but imho it won't be for commercial purposes initially.
the first news of it will come from a scientific source.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
Yes. A poster from indo explained how it happens a while ago.

Thaiho while your pictures and video are interesting, they don't prove anything. I found out a while ago that the scientific breeding facility at bungborapetch nakornsawan was able to differentiate male and female st. They also said they had bred st at scientific level successfully, but that success was very limited. Breeding dats will happen but imho it won't be for commercial purposes initially.
the first news of it will come from a scientific source.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'd like to see the explanation from that Indonesian poster if you still have that info/link.

I've seen your posts quoting Thai's research centers not being successful at breeding ST. How about IT breeding, which unless someone can prove that all those baby IT's are wild caught, seems commercially probable to me.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
So where do these baby indo booms all of sudden come from? Cant be wild caught.

Mysterious breeder who is kept secret to protect his fortune. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Well unless they fall out of the sky or a stork delivers them they must be wild caught

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

classic-chassis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
Thailand
It's in a thread just like this one which goes on for page after page after page.
Basically he said the local fishermen know the spawning grounds, they also found lots of other spawning grounds, they sell to middle men, who keep them in big tanks. Some years they have boom years while collecting fry, so times not. The collect them really really small, so the numbers are high. The last few years have been particularly successful. To the point the middle men, or "farms" wont buy them. They then sell them in bulk.

With regards to ST or Indo, I couldn't really comment, I would guess those scientist would practice slicing open cheaper fish to understand the anatomy of pulcher before moving on the the expensive ones.
Evidence is pointing at it being NOT commercially probable and it always has been that way. Evidence doesn't need to be provided of fish being wild caught, but fish being captive bred because based on the past evidence it is not yet probable.
I think the NTT pictures which Thaiho posted are further evidence of scientific breeding programmes.
The was another Thai guy who was adamant the dats were bred, but he could never produce evidence to back up his claim. Everyone is on the case, form the amateur hobbiest to country funded breeding programmes. Big money involved you see.
It will happen, but you will also know about it when it does because it will get splashed across ever forum and every fish keeping magazine.

spin420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2008
Mililani, Hawaii
I'm not jumping to conclusions yet, but I talked to a guy today, who said he has a large pond full of over 50 ITs that started off as only a couple or a few. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I would love to try to snap pics.

iinkeren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
Jakarta
Hi Im from Indonesia where IT come from. Personally never heard that IT already CB. Some farms are trying to breed em but no result. U may ask if its still WC how come at one time we can see many baby ITs available everywhere. To answer this question, there are some sources of location where IT are caught. Sentarum lake in west kalimantan Indonesia perhaps the main source. Its a black water lake where most of baby IT are caught when the season comes. i may say that hundred thousands or even millions are caught there every year/season. Its like IT Centre where big IT deliever baby ITs every year. Another source for IT is Palembang in Sumatra and Jambi.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store