Indoor pond Version 2

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
If it is the same fashion as your prior build, then you will have a solid wall of 2x6's lying on top of each other and screwed together, that's a 6 inch thick wooden wall. I'd not envision any problems whatsoever with a 10ftx8ft without the top bracing, particularly having seen that you are a diligent perfectionist at putting things together.

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Just an update. Had to move the pond over to make room for the new build. Conveniently there was a leak in the roof so I got that patched and started the new pond. 1/2” foam on the bottom as the base. Doing a no cut method which is greatly increasing the build time.

also saved all the screws from the last build and bout a dewalt bit for the drill. I have 15 layers left. Most of the wood is here and the liner already came. I’m hoping to have this completed by this time next week.

enjoy the small update!

IMG_2614.jpeg

IMG_2613.jpeg

IMG_2612.jpeg

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Hi Everyone,

Sorry for the delay. Unlike most threads this got knocked out in 2 days. I’ll post the pictures. Worked great. Have to do the trex trim on top and then cut the flange bulk head in so i can run a trickle constant water change.

The filtration is on the other side of the wall in the garage. Unfortunately only this side of the garage is temperature controlled but I may enclose the filters for humidity and stable temps in the next few months as summer comes.

its about 90% there just a few last touches that will be done probably this week.

IMG_2624.jpeg

IMG_2628.jpeg

IMG_2629.jpeg

IMG_2630.jpeg

IMG_2631.jpeg

IMG_2632.jpeg

IMG_2633.jpeg

IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_2636.jpeg

IMG_2637.jpeg

IMG_2639.jpeg

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

IMG_2642.jpeg

IMG_2643.jpeg

IMG_2644.jpeg

IMG_2653.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

IMG_2654.jpeg

IMG_2658.jpeg

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Got the last little bit done before i add the decking on top. Had to add in the flange bulkhead so i can run a constant trickle water change. It’s a 1.5” pipe so shouldn’t have any issues.

added a piece over the return since the water was going to be with in an inch or two of the cut out. I was scared of water getting through and onto the wood soi cut a 2” diameter hole and stretched it over the 3” pipe. Then used a whole tueb of silicon between the flange and this. Should be water tight for good. Starting the decking tomorrow. Should be quick after the first two board.

The deck will over hang 4” and also act as a jump guard. Hoping it never gets tested!

IMG_2711.jpeg

IMG_2710.jpeg

IMG_2708.jpeg

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Unfortunately it isn’t at the moment. Water temp is 59°. The room the pond is in is temperature controlled but the other side of the wall that has the filtration isn’t. I have lids for the filter barrels but will also insulate them to help keep temps more stable. Winters aren't bad but that side of the garage will hit 100°+ in the summer here.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Wonderful!

I prefer to use bulkheads, commercial or homemade on any pipe-through-liner connections.

I'd also use the commercial rubber liner stitching tape, double sided extremely sticky and designed for underwater connections. IDK how well silicone adheres to rubber and if it does, how long it'd remain adhered. The siliconed cutout is not under water, so it's a plus, but I think the silicone will start peeling away sooner or later, with or without the movement / stretching of the rubber liner (under mechanical stress / pull, or temp fluctuations, plus rubber contracts and rigidifies as it ages - silicone cannot stretch far enough to accommodate these movements).

Reactions: Dead-pool

Dead-pool

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2016
Wonderful!

I prefer to use bulkheads, commercial or homemade on any pipe-through-liner connections.

I'd also use the commercial rubber liner stitching tape, double sided extremely sticky and designed for underwater connections. IDK how well silicone adheres to rubber and if it does, how long it'd remain adhered. The siliconed cutout is not under water, so it's a plus, but I think the silicone will start peeling away sooner or later, with or without the movement / stretching of the rubber liner (under mechanical stress / pull, or temp fluctuations, plus rubber contracts and rigidifies as it ages - silicone cannot stretch far enough to accommodate these movements).
I used the aquascape silicone made specifically for pondliners. It’s what my koi dealer uses and has no issues on her personal pond which is 5 years old and outside. So inside should last atleast that long or longer. If there is any issues i’ll for sure let everyone know!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store