Introducing My "NEW" DOVII Fry Development Thread.

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Mine look quite a bit younger... these are only about 3 and a half months old. Maybe they've been growing to quickly for the colors to develop properly yet. I had Firemouths that reached 3" with very little red in the gills and underformed finnage because their coloration and sexual maturity hadn't caught up with the size the fish had reached. :)
I'm not talking about color, the spotting in the unpaired fins shows at a few inches. I was just showing you examples of the spotting in the fins and bodies. As you can see both male and females will show spotting at this size on the body. I can show you more pics with spotting in the unpaired fins before coloring up. The spotting is the first thing to show up most the time, in the fins. I was trying to show you the best method for picking young males, color and growth rate compared to other juvies does little to identify the sex, along with spotting on the body. Like I said before, I would put my money the 3.5" pic you posted is a female. Good luck though and let us know how it goes

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
View attachment 1054052
Female

new_fi_9f2dfd5c44.jpg
Female

Not trying to be argumentative but the fish in the examples you shown are definately older and larger more developed specimens.... The largest of mine is 3.5" Total Length.... The spots on the fins are part of the coloring;)

new_fi_9f2dfd5c44.jpg

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
It goes without saying the pics I posted are older Dovii. How many Dovii have you raised? The spotting in the unpaired fins show up before coloring up or any other markings. Anyway I'm done trying to explain that to you. Like I said good luck.:D

Reaper13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2013
Southeast
It goes without saying the pics I posted are older Dovii. How many Dovii have you raised? The spotting in the unpaired fins show up before coloring up or any other markings. Anyway I'm done trying to explain that to you. Like I said good luck.:D
Can you post a clear picture of a younger male around 3"? I see what your saying, but I would like to compare my own female to one. I'm 90% sure it's a female, but the extra 10% would be reassuring.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
All the fry have no spots on the fins yet so I guess they must be to young yet to show these markings.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
This is one of the coolest posts I have seen!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Glad someones noticing my efforts lol ;)

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Here's the latest image of the largest specimen... Seems to be developing spots in the fins now.

Looks like Reaper13 was right... The biggest is usually the male "90%" of the time. I've also noticed the increasing number of spots on the gills which the females don't seem to have, either.

NWatson.... Good job you didn't put money on it being a female ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store