Introducing My "NEW" DOVII Fry Development Thread.

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
He looks great so far. I almost picked up another 180 and this is what would have gone in it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
Cyberman the pics you posted before do not look like a 3.5" Dovii as you stated. Go get acquainted with a tape measure. You said they were, looked more like 1.5" or so but I took your word for it. I would not expect to see spotting on a fry, as I tried telling you the spotting on the unpaird fins is the best and first thing to help sex them at a young age. If that fish was 3.5" and no spotting I would still have bet it was a female. You can't always be right with thousands of fry anyway.

Funny the pic you have now has the spotting on unpaired fins like I said it would. Aslo your pretty funny, so because one Dovii you have was the largest out of a small group and turned out to be male the 90% rule is true.....LOL. I guess you failed any science class ever, or just don't get it, same as this thread.

I think I have given you the best advice in this thread to help you sex your Dovii. For some reason you have an issue understanding that....not sure why. Whatever good luck with your male dovii and go spread crap on his site about how to sex a fish with your 90% rule. LOL.

I'm done responding to someone who just does not get it. I wonder why so many good fish keeping people are hard to find on this site anymore.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
I said my largest fry is 3.5" total length...and that is the case - and a bit bigger now. And if you check back on my previous threads on other species I'm no novice, just new to Dovii thats all. Didn't expect to upset your pride so I'm sorry about that. All I want is to lock of the best male asap so I can sell on the others before they kill eachother.

Also, I mentioned my theory that whenever you rear cichlids (like I did with my Firemouths) rapidly... on bloodworms anf higher temperatures they tend to gain size and mass fast and the coloration tends to catch up at a slower pace. Thats definately true of the cichlids I've raised and I think its the case with these Dovii.

Cyberman the pics you posted before do not look like a 3.5" Dovii as you stated. Go get acquainted with a tape measure. You said they were, looked more like 1.5" or so but I took your word for it. I would not expect to see spotting on a fry, as I tried telling you the spotting on the unpaird fins is the best and first thing to help sex them at a young age. If that fish was 3.5" and no spotting I would still have bet it was a female. You can't always be right with thousands of fry anyway.

Funny the pic you have now has the spotting on unpaired fins like I said it would. Aslo your pretty funny, so because one Dovii you have was the largest out of a small group and turned out to be male the 90% rule is true.....LOL. I guess you failed any science class ever, or just don't get it, same as this thread.

I think I have given you the best advice in this thread to help you sex your Dovii. For some reason you have an issue understanding that....not sure why. Whatever good luck with your male dovii and go spread crap on his site about how to sex a fish with your 90% rule. LOL.

I'm done responding to someone who just does not get it. I wonder why so many good fish keeping people are hard to find on this site anymore.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
This is what I wrote earlier...

"Mine look quite a bit younger... these are only about 3 and a half months old. Maybe they've been growing to quickly for the colors to develop properly yet. I had Firemouths that reached 3" with very little red in the gills and underformed finnage because their coloration and sexual maturity hadn't caught up with the size the fish had reached."

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Got the TAPE MEASURE out on the largest specimen today... Its now 4.5" total length and 3.5" body length so bigger than I thought... I'll quite happily take a pic to prove this point to NWatson ;) I've now moved the four into a new tank and dropped the temperature down from 30C to 26C and started feeding more dried food to help develop the colors more.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Here's a little update... The 4 have been transfered into a 90gallon tank where they continue to thrive... I managed to photograph two of the specimens which are approx. 5" long now.

DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
DSC_0019.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
I think this one is going to be the keeper out of the four.... Not the largest but definately the best colors and markings.

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0011.JPG

Cichlidshady

Banned
Aug 22, 2014
dallas
Looks nice they are almost caught up to my female jaguar in size she grows super slow! I like the the color on the last one but if it had that dark line like the other one it would be a PERFECT!

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
It does get the Dark line depending on mood :)

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store