iPhone pffft! THIS is the phone to have!!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Everyone else tries to copy the Iphone and do a miserable job at that. They may look cool on the outside but all they are is cheap knockoffs. If I were to buy a smartphone the Iphone would be it, it sets the standard.
You've obviously never used an Android device. And I see it a lot too. Most iPhone users have no clue about Android devices and what the OS is capable of, while Android owners know quite a bit about iOS, and that's what led them to Android. To say that iOS is the best is silly and close-minded. Apple is so behind that it's even wrong to call it a smart phone. iPhone owners live in a sheltered little world. Whenever they do get an update, they act like it's the greatest thing since color tv, meanwhile Android has had those features for months, even years. Case in point, Apple's 'revolutionary' notification system, which has been a standard Android feature since way back in 2009.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Everyone else tries to copy the Iphone and do a miserable job at that. They may look cool on the outside but all they are is cheap knockoffs. If I were to buy a smartphone the Iphone would be it, it sets the standard.
i'm cool with this post, as well as your other one, but you should back it up with details that support your argument.

way i see it, soulpatch and cardona just pwned

plus, it depends on the user. for non power users such as myself, my wife drives around to client homes and the google navigation is a must. saves me money on buying a good gps. from what i heard about iphone's navigation thing, you might as well print out a map from mapquest

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Breast cancer awareness! :headbang2

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Apple's cutting edge innovation vs Android. LOLZ

Moloch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2010
Raleigh, NC
--disclaimer: This post is pulled straight out of my keister, I'm not claiming any of it as fact, I'm open to correction especially about the 4g network and its just for discussion--

Other than lacking 4g, how is the 4s technology old and stale? I'm under the impression that it has much better camera than what else is out there, the processor is capable of more as its the GPU and the screen, while smaller, still has a better resolution. Am I wrong on any of that?

Yeah, lacking 4g is KIND OF a big deal, but I wouldn't say it affects the vast majority of users yet. Its still a network thats in the roll-out phases, and aren't there multiple 'types' of 4g? Some are 4g LTE and some are whatever else? I don't know much about it, but it seems to me like everything could go one way or the other? I'd put money on Apple building the predominant 4g technology into the iphone5 (or whatever it is) next year when its hopefully more widespread and they've settled on one technology for it.

Take away 4g and the OS comparison...where does the iphone 4s NOT compete with other current models? Apple's habit of crippling their software is pretty annoying, but it hasn't really bothered me in the past 2 years since I got my 3gs. I jailbroke for a while when I thought it was necessary but I reversed that in the months leading to ios5 and haven't really thought about it since. I like the ios operates for the most part, so being locked into the way apple wants it done doesn't really bother me.

As far as the navigation...maps does a pretty good job of getting the route, but my GPS locator absolutely blows. I don't know if just the phone or what, but it almost never puts me where I actually am, just sticks me somewhere within about a mile radius usually. So I'll give you that one. I'm hoping that the 4s wouldn't have the same issues or that its just something with my phone in particular (although I don't really think it is).

Android phones do seem pretty cool, I just wish I had an easy way to pick one up for a while and see what its really like. I've only ever been able to play around with one for a minute or two when someone I know owns one.

Also, do Android phones have a music player as solid as the iphone?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Hmm... some trueth and some misleading elements in that statement. Apple is not a tech company they are a products and design company. The don't have an R&D budget they predominantly borrow, patent, buy, tech others develop. What they are known for it combining tech and design to make a functional product that transcends the notion of a gadget. I would argue apple is kinda the middle person in the line, IBM, microsoft, some university somewhere... developes a tech, apple sees it, copies, patents, buys, steels, it and uses it in a product... HTC, SAMGSUNG, LG copy the implementation of said technology not developed at home by apple and apple sues them for design infringement. Its actually pretty rare that any one sue anyone so frequently and in such a fashion as apple does. Yeah Apple is an idea machine but similar to just about every person ever their ideas are progressions of others ideas. Android was an OS long before IOS was conceived. Apple wins for the whole first to market and "focused" design philosophy that makes products that work by removing features and functionality. Its easier for something to work when it does less get my drift. I mean how many generations in and the Iphone is still having issues with being a phone. I will state the use of quality materials in the construction of the I-phone 4 finally made it a product worthy of the mantle of phenominal design. At that I don't personally ever see apple products as perfect. They always short something, weather its horrible batteries in i-pods for 2 generations or bad construction like the first gen i-phones they always have some flaw that drags them down in my eyes. HTC makes good phones but nothing that feels as good as the iphone4 IOS on the otherhand really doesn't hold a candle to the Android marketplace/experience.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
I'll try to address your points below...

--disclaimer: This post is pulled straight out of my keister, I'm not claiming any of it as fact, I'm open to correction especially about the 4g network and its just for discussion--

Other than lacking 4g, how is the 4s technology old and stale? I'm under the impression that it has much better camera than what else is out there, the processor is capable of more as its the GPU and the screen, while smaller, still has a better resolution. Am I wrong on any of that? Camera, iPhone has and always will be camera king. Although it will be interesting to see a comparison with the new Nexus Galaxy. The iPhone will also always give you a smooth, seamless operation and UI because it's GPU is optimized to run with the OS. Even though there's more powerful phones out there, the 4S has scored impressive benchmark tests because of this simple fact. Also, iOS is a fairly lite OS. This is why I've always said you can run iOS smoothly with a lot less power. Android phones need a lot of juice to run smoothly. Just the nature of the OS differences.

Resolution, the iPhone 4 has always had a higher resolution than most phones at 960x640. But, it's only a 3.5" screen. It's painfully small. After messing with all these big screens I just can't mess with an iPhone. The Galaxy Nexus has raised the bar with a 1280x720 HD display that's 4.65", (4.3" actually since part of the screen is used for the navigation buttons).

Yeah, lacking 4g is KIND OF a big deal, but I wouldn't say it affects the vast majority of users yet. Its still a network thats in the roll-out phases, and aren't there multiple 'types' of 4g? Some are 4g LTE and some are whatever else? I don't know much about it, but it seems to me like everything could go one way or the other? I'd put money on Apple building the predominant 4g technology into the iphone5 (or whatever it is) next year when its hopefully more widespread and they've settled on one technology for it. Not sure about other networks, but speaking on Verizon, there's just 3G and 4G, no different types. Verizon has pretty good 4G coverage in lots of larger cities. If I had 4G in my area, I would definitely want a 4G phone. No sense in getting locked into a new 2yr contract on a 3G phone, unless you're out in the middle of nowhere where you won't get 4G for a while. Verizon is committing to nation-wide 4G coverage by 2013. The next iPhone MUST have 4G for it to continue to stay alive in this market, IMO.

Take away 4g and the OS comparison...where does the iphone 4s NOT compete with other current models? Apple's habit of crippling their software is pretty annoying, but it hasn't really bothered me in the past 2 years since I got my 3gs. I jailbroke for a while when I thought it was necessary but I reversed that in the months leading to ios5 and haven't really thought about it since. I like the ios operates for the most part, so being locked into the way apple wants it done doesn't really bother me. I'd say you answered your own question by mentioning they cripple their software. The iPhone 4S can compete with other phones, no doubt about that. It's a powerful device with great features. For the average user who just wants a phone to connect with the world and share media, it's all you ever need. But for power users and uber-nerds, iPhone leaves a lot to be desired. For me it's all the little limitations and nuances of iOS and the newest 4S that kill it for me (no Google navigation, no 4G, iTunes, can only run Apple-approved apps, must sync with one computer only, can't mount the storage system for drag/drop/copy/paste/browse file folders, etc etc). Little things like that I can't deal with and frustrate the hell out of me.

As far as the navigation...maps does a pretty good job of getting the route, but my GPS locator absolutely blows. I don't know if just the phone or what, but it almost never puts me where I actually am, just sticks me somewhere within about a mile radius usually. So I'll give you that one. I'm hoping that the 4s wouldn't have the same issues or that its just something with my phone in particular (although I don't really think it is). Sounds like it's the phone. GPS should be accurate within a few feet. GPS is turned on right? I'd get it checked out, doesn't sound right.

Android phones do seem pretty cool, I just wish I had an easy way to pick one up for a while and see what its really like. I've only ever been able to play around with one for a minute or two when someone I know owns one. I hear ya. The average iPhone user never really has had a chance to dig into the OS. Best thing is to walk into a Verizon or other store and spend a good amount of time exploring, if you're that interested.

Also, do Android phones have a music player as solid as the iphone? Definitely! Does everything I need it to do as a music player. Has audio adjustments, full library, sort by song, artist, album, rate songs, etc etc. Really nothing else I need

Some screenshots, not mine

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store