Is a Fluval FX6 overkill on a 120gallon tank?

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
Unfortunately a sump is a no go as I don't have the space hence the canister filter. I appreciate that too much filtration isn't a bad thing but it was the flow I was worried about. Is the flow adjustable or would the fish be able to handle that much output in that size tan
And also, could any FX6 owners out there give me an idea on what I should be using as media in one of these. Is what it comes with enough?
just get a dual return the piece that goes into the water, idk the proper name of it, that way the water isnt shooting in one direction. the flow one way will be cut in half if that makes sence

ascarbo27

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2014
tampa fl
Make a spray bar to spread the flow out and will be perfect size. I have an Eheim 2262 which is almost double @ 900 GPH on a 125. I think it's perfect but plan on making spray bar longer.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
never thought of that... adding that to my sump lol

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
I'm running an Fx6 on a 90g with a 5.5" midas and a 9" centro catfish. And though I'm feeding very heavy I still notice the water getting noticeably cloudy after a week without WC (usually do 2x75%/week). If you stock that 120 with reasonable size fish you may find yourself looking for a HOB on top of the Fx6.
Sounds like you don't have enough bio established especially doing 2x75% WC with only 2 fish..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: stratelespaul

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The amount of flow is really dictated by the kind of fish you keep, the FX6 is rated at about 900 gph, I run 1800 gph on a 125 without a problem.
If you keep rice paddy type bettas, or discus 900 gph would probably be a bit high.
My cichlids are not phased by the 1800 gph.
If you kept African Tiger fish, or any other counter current rheophilic fish 5000 gph would be walk in the park.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store