Is a Fluval FX6 overkill on a 120gallon tank?

Gyarados

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Lower Slower Delaware
The filter ran with roughly 3 cups worth of established bioballs for about 2 weeks before the fish were added. I know its a large volume of water for that much established media but the filter is filled to the brim with biomedia so it should grow eventually.

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
The amount of flow is really dictated by the kind of fish you keep, the FX6 is rated at about 900 gph, I run 1800 gph on a 125 without a problem.
If you keep rice paddy type bettas, or discus 900 gph would probably be a bit high.
My cichlids are not phased by the 1800 gph.
If you kept African Tiger fish, or any other counter current rheophilic fish 5000 gph would be walk in the park.
900gph at the pump head. Filled with media it's around 500gph

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
I have an fx5 on my 120 does a great job.but I added a 850gph circulation pump at the opposite end of the tank of the intake. It helps move waste and uneaten food to the intake.does a good job.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreeWillie

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
My 120gal African tank has 2 fx5 and 2 aqua clear 110 and cf-500 uav from aquatop. The tanks is clean and clear all the time. Talk about over filtering. Every week I do a 25% water change and I clean one filter on a rotating schedule, ensuring that I always have good bacteria in the system.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store