Is having a heater on a timer okay?

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
As it was already mentioned I would get rid of the broken heater.

But the idea with the timer on the heater is not all that absurd.
I know some people who use their heaters with a timer to prevent a defective heater from overheating the aquarium. I know several stories of aquariums overheated by defective heaters. But only one of a loss of fish due to an aquarium that is too cold.
The heater heats as required during the day and is switched off at night. The tank cools down only 1-2 degrees at night and thus simulates a day-night fluctuation in temperature. Of course, that doesn't make sense for all fish and the sorrounding of the tank should not be too cold or the tank has to be insulated.

Reactions: tlindsey

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
In my tank I set my Inkbird controller for 80 degreed F. I have two 150W heaters plugged into the inkbird controller both set to 78 degrees F. The Inkbird controller never turns off because the tank stays at about 78 degrees F. If the thermostat on a heater breaks/gets stuck "on" the Inkbird will shut off electricity to the heaters when the tank reaches 80 degrees F. preventing the tank from overheating killing off all my fish. If one of the two heaters breaks and no longer heats the second will take over but the tank temperature is likely to run on the low side.

Reactions: tlindsey

brianp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2007
Fremont, CA
I have a 300w Marineland heater (https://www.amazon.com/MarineLand-Precision-Saltwater-Freshwater-Aquariums/dp/B00NETRY44) which of course seems to get stuck on and never really turn off. Even though I have the thermostat set to 73 degrees, the tank is always at 80-83 degrees.

As a workaround, can I just put this on a timer? Currently I have it turning on/off every hour or so. So an hour on, an hour off, an hour on...

Will this harm the heater at all? Or are there any consequences I am missing here?
Bad idea...replace the heater.

Reactions: FESHMAN

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
"Back in the day" when aquarium heaters were glass tubes, there was a risk of them exploding. It wasn't common by any means, but was possible.

I've never heard of it happening with modern/plastic heaters. But... it is possible for a malfunctioning heater to get stuck in the "on" position and cool the tank. I'm not fluent enough with the internal electronics to know if using a timer as an external switch could cause an internal malfunction to get stuck on.

But... in my eyes... The risk is the heater will kick on, raise the temp up a few degrees, then kick off allowing it to drop a few degrees... and this constant up and down will have a negative influence on your fish. Even if the swings remain moderate and within their acceptable tolerance, the constant up and down will be very unnatural and could confuse their biology, thus weakening their immune.

Plus the solution is a $20-40 fix. Quite reasonable all things considered.

At least that's my $.02

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Just curious, what is the problem? Are we worried about the heater exploding or something?
How much did the heater cost? Usually it is safer, cheaper and easier to replace a heater with a malfunctioning thermostat than it is to try to patch the problem and risk over heating or freezing out the tank. Are you on a very tight budget where replacing the heater isn't an option? (I started keeping fish when I was 10yo and had to purchase all of my own equipment with lawn mowing money. I understand a tight budget, it is nothing to be ashamed of.)

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
How much did the heater cost? Usually it is safer, cheaper and easier to replace a heater with a malfunctioning thermostat than it is to try to patch the problem and risk over heating or freezing out the tank. Are you on a very tight budget where replacing the heater isn't an option? (I started keeping fish when I was 10yo and had to purchase all of my own equipment with lawn mowing money. I understand a tight budget, it is nothing to be ashamed of.)
Hi,
I am not on a tight budget or anything, but I already have this "smart" power strip that allows me to time when outlets are turned on/off. That way I know the tank will not overheat. I can certainly grab another 300w heating (or two 150w), but if my solution is already fixed (via the timed outlet), I am wondering if it is really worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store