Is Hybridization A Problem?

Malawinut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Cincinnati
There was a thread about a C. frontosa hybrid that brought up the infamous Hybrid subject. M|L wrote:

it destorys biodiversity.

one day you won't be able to differentiate a dog from a cat.

or Ash from Jessica Simpson.

or chicken from fish.

;)

:ROFL:
Although humorous, on many forums a person with that many posts is usually one who is advanced/experienced in the hobby. That category also has almost 100% anti-hybrid members of varying degrees. Of course, I'm talking about african cichlid keepers in general. It is a very serious issue. Many new/inexperienced members of the hobby often contribute to the problem with their ignorance of the subject. I agree that people should be able to keep whatever fish make them happy. The problem is when people give/trade/sell their hybrid or hybrid offspring and put the fish into circulation. Then those people become the "bad guys" just like the unethical "Dr. Hybridsteins" who are just out to make a buck. The problem is very serious since many of the big chain stores, shady distributors, and places like AquaBid have hybrids and deceive people everyday.
In our lifetime, Lake Victoria was the location of the single largest species extinction in the history of the planet. Yes, bigger than the end of the dinosaurs. The kicker is that man's ignorance did it. One of the reasons why conservation of many species in the aquariums has failed has been due to hybridization. The population of some countries around Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika has grown so quickly that there have discussions on how to increase the food output of the lakes. Lake Malawi's fish production has dropped off sharply in the last decade. If there were to be another "miscalculation" that ended up destroying the whole eco-system, then many of the fish would only be in our aquariums.

Another anti-hybrid reason is that most people want to get what they paid for. Most Aulonocara species (peacocks) look the same as juveniles/females. Yet they are the largest group of hybrids in the hobby. Try spending 6 months to a year watching your prized "Bengas" turn out to be some dirty mustard colored "who knows what it is". The fish that started this thread was a C. frontosa that had 6 stripes on one side and 7 on the other. No matter how gorgeous the finnage or hump (if its a male) that fish will never win any contests in any major club or the ACA. You can never sell it to anyone who has basic knowledge of frontosas besides that would make one have bad morals.
As far as line-breeding and albinoism goes I'm pretty neutral. Yes it is not "natural", but it is also not crossing species. Now when fish are advertised as "newly discovered" or "rare" on places like AquaBid they are often hybrids and about as natural as plastic plants. One of the biggest outright deceptions being done by some of the crooks on AB is many of the OB "Hap-type" fish. There is no OB electric-blue or any of the Haplochromis group. I even found out, after questioning 2 of the highest experts, that there isn't even a natural Cynotilapia afra OB. How about buying a "giraffe-eye biter"!?! That was a D. compressiceps bred with a N. venustus that was hopefully a sterile hybrid.

Do the hobby, and yourselves, a favor a try to do some of the following. First, try to educate yourselves on the fish that you are thinking of keeping BEFORE you buy them. Coming to places like this, local fish clubs, and other hobbyists are great ways to learn. When you do buy try to house the fish in a responsible manner unless you are positive you have nothing but males. I'm not promoting "one species only" tanks. That means don't keep similar species in the same tank. If you have a hybridization occur be responsible. You can flush them, use them as feeders, or let them grow and waste your tank space. Just don't pass them on to "infect" someone else.
Lastly, I'm not a crusader to save the whales or the world. I'm a cichlidiot who is passionate about a certain niche in the aquarium hobby. I'm not bashing all the Flowerhorn /parrotfish/Mutant X fishkeepers since that's your thing. I'm just one of many who tries to give advice/share knowledge to my fellow african keepers. Oops, I mean african CICHLID keepers before someone uses the worn out slave analogy ;)

brandi77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
ohio
i thought that flushing fish was a bad idea!? My ob zebra mated with my red Zebra, but i couldnt bring myself to kill them or use them as feeders. I would never sell them or give them to anyone though. You do have a point. I would be mad if someone sold me a mutt after I paid good money for it.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
yup I would 2 which is why I am glad I got my peacocks where I did b/c I would not be paying big money at some store and not know if they were mix.

Malawinut

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
Cincinnati
i thought that flushing fish was a bad idea!?
My apologies since flushing would possibly be bad for many members here. There are several ways to responsibly get rid of fish.

KillerKlover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2006
Michigan
Yea right on brother I do not like mutts. Although if i bred some i would keep them just cause i love my baby fish I guess i am just a softie.

Scotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
George, South Africa
Thanks for this extremely touchy subject. Great job done there Malawinut.
:clap :thumbsup:
Psuedotropheus demasoni is nearly fished out in the Lake. :cry: It is therfore imperative that people keep the breed pure. There are a couple of other species that are also very close to disappearing.:cry: :cry:
It is better to pay more for your fish knowing they are coming from a reputable supplier than buying the cheapies and not knowing what it is you are actually getting.
I am not in favour of the albino fish as this is not natural.
Ideally I want my tanks to reflect, as closely as is possible, what it is like in the Lake.
Pots and bright plastic plants are also not natural.:screwy: :confused:
Thanks again for this great post.:naughty: :woot: :clap :headbang2 :thumbsup:

brandi77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2005
ohio
I agree with keeping fish pure. As far as the people who keep pots, to each their own. Unless your aquarium is at least 2 street blocks big without glass walls, then it isnt even close to the fishes natural habitat. People usually keep fish cuz they enjoy them and to show them off to other people. I dont have clay pots, but I think that some clay pot setups look pretty nice. Just my opinion!:)

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
sorry why isnt the albino thing natural? or are you talking about "selective breeding" of albinos, in which case thats fair enough

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
Ever since the Petsmart flowerhorns started coming out, I can't tell a normal purebred trimac from a cheap flowerhorn baby.

And unless you know the lineage, there's no possible way simply from the physical appearance to differentiate the two.

That's what annoys me the most.

I'm not a hybrid hater though, as I love high quality flowerhorns, ones that I KNOW are hybrids. It's times when you can't tell a hybrid from a purebred that pisses me off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store