Is my RTC fine

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
good news. the swelling is healing now and the RTC has started to eat again like before, devouring food. i guess the swelling will end soon

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I think you got solid advice. Swellings on the caudal peduncle don't occur out of the blue or probably ever, unless there is an obvious and significant injury and there is evidence of the injury or of an attack.

It is almost 100% sure a kink in the skeletal structure and will never go away. Deformed fish like this appear to live fine, but defects and mutations tend not to occur alone but in groups, and thus, who knows what other latent defects this RTC has, again if inborn (if an accident, this logic wouldn't apply)... The kink has nothing to do with the appetite swings - these usually have the underlying reasons as stress, illness, seasons, natural cycles of fish biology.

You spoke of discoloration too in your OP. What discoloration?

AR1

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2023
kingdom of saudi arabia, riyadth
I think you got solid advice. Swellings on the caudal peduncle don't occur out of the blue or probably ever, unless there is an obvious and significant injury and there is evidence of the injury or of an attack.

It is almost 100% sure a kink in the skeletal structure and will never go away. Deformed fish like this appear to live fine, but defects and mutations tend not to occur alone but in groups, and thus, who knows what other latent defects this RTC has, again if inborn (if an accident, this logic wouldn't apply)... The kink has nothing to do with the appetite swings - these usually have the underlying reasons as stress, illness, seasons, natural cycles of fish biology.

You spoke of discoloration too in your OP. What discoloration?
the swelling increases and decreases on its own. i said it was healing, but now its the same again. the discoloration might probably due to the light background which occured after i cleaned the dark muck out of the pond. There are no significant signs of injury but the tail on the other side seems to be a bit wrinkled and sunken, like the meat from that part popped out from this one. its eating a bit less because its winter. otherwise the water is super clean

will it grow or not

Last edited by a moderator:

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I'd expect the RTC to grow because right now it is quite young and still small but it'd be impossible to project how big and how quickly it'd grow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store