Is my tank cycling "ok"? With Pics!

burky_tc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2010
Iowa
In my opinion pull the bubbler out. Not sure why no one else has said this yet... The Koralia powerheads are great little units. You will not be disappointed!

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
burky_tc;4697802; said:
In my opinion pull the bubbler out. Not sure why no one else has said this yet... The Koralia powerheads are great little units. You will not be disappointed!
+1 on the koralias. Love them. Best bang for buck powerhead out there.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Sounds good about the koralias. should that greatly improve flow around my tank?? possibly getting rid of some of the algae

Cich wit it

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2009
NYC
Hey Calpoly12. I love the GT in your Avatar. Looks just like mine. Oh wait, It is mine. lol. Enjoy the pic. Im just glad someone appreciates my lil guy. Good luck with the new tank. Looks like its coming along nicely.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Cich wit it;4700370; said:
Hey Calpoly12. I love the GT in your Avatar. Looks just like mine. Oh wait, It is mine. lol. Enjoy the pic. Im just glad someone appreciates my lil guy. Good luck with the new tank. Looks like its coming along nicely.
Sorry for hi-jacking ur pic! a friend actually emailed it to me along with some other beautiful pics of fish and I just happened to fall in love, so to speak, with yours! Beautiful fish btw, wish mine was even remotely close to that!

Cich wit it

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2009
NYC
calpoly12;4701009; said:
Sorry for hi-jacking ur pic! a friend actually emailed it to me along with some other beautiful pics of fish and I just happened to fall in love, so to speak, with yours! Beautiful fish btw, wish mine was even remotely close to that!
Thanx. Im glad you enjoy my fish as much as I do. No worries about having the pic up. Enjoy it. Thats what this site is all about. Good luck with your cycling tank.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
thisissimple;4702352; said:
add an astrea snail or 3, they love that diatom stuff. Korallias are good. Wait on fish,
O ok, Ill have to pick some of the snails up today! Will they eat off the
sand though? That is where most of diatom is :( .

As for the rest of my tank, ammonia is still at the same level. Pushing two weeks now and I know that cycling a salt water tank takes some time, but should I start to worry that Im doing something wrong? I do feel like I'm being paranoid, but when I see the diatom everywhere it makes me think that I am doing something wrong and that the tank may never cycle :cry: . I am going to pick up a http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-512994/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=11442-512994 and hopefully that will get some better circulation into the bottom front of my tank.
I know it would be bad, but I feel like I should do a water change and that it would take care of the diatom. Do you guys think I should just keep waiting it out? I will post some pictures of my tank here in a little bit so you guys can see the whole set up.
Ok, that was a lot of stuff, but here is whats in my tank now.
- Roughly 10lbs of LR.
-15 lb of live sand. Sand bed is about 2-4 inches deep.
- 1 bag of Chemi-pure, Filter floss on top and bottom of it.
- Salinity is ok and temp is at 80.
- 3 Blue leg hermit crab. Doing a decent job for their size.

thisissimple

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2010
Los Angeles
definately do a water change. You should be doing them just the same as when the tank has livestock. 10% a week. The tank will still cycle fine.

Go ahead and add the korallia. that would be nothing but good. You don't need the chemi pure right now, I would take it out till you stock the tank. Also, the filter floss under the chemipure is probably redundant.

keep the salinity and temp stable, and just wait there Mr. Paranoid. Sometimes this takes longer than others.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store