Is my tank gonna break...?????

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
I have a new to me, used tank for my Aro. I want to fill it with water and let it sit to make sure it's not going to leak or isn't cracked anywhere. Soooo I want to do this outdoors in case it does break.

Problem- it's 29 degrees F and snowing, will warm up to maybe 40 today.
The tank is outside, already cold, the water would be from my well, it too is cold, so the temp all around will be the same, cold. Is this gonna work OK or do you think it's too cold to do this? My Aro REALLY needs to move NOW his tank is toooo small. The glass is thicker than a normal 55.

When tanks break, do they shatter or is it kinda like windshield glass?

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
I would not risk it. If your aro was in the small tank yesterday, one more day or two won't make a big deal. If the new/used tank breaks, your aro will be stuck in the small tank for some time.

Normally when a tank leaks, it is a seal that gives out, or a center brace snaps. With the possibility of having the water freeze, you run the risk of the ice causing the walls of the tank to expand and seperate from the seals.

The only time I ever saw a tank shatter, was when a 10in snakehead went through the side of a 30L. This was years ago at a lfs that no longer exists.

rockinthe40ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
west virginia
chances are , it WONT shatter, and if it starts leaking put a bucket under it and siphon the water back out

rockinthe40ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2007
west virginia
btw, what size tank is he in now, and how big is he?

HiGhTiMeZ

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Montreal, Canada
www.friendster.com
very slim chance that it will break.
thats a good idea tho to test fill it outside.
dont worry too much it will not shatter unless u throw big piece of rock from the top in there. good luck mei! hope all goes well!

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
he's in a 55, going up to 75 while waiting "anyday" to get my 150 (people are on Vacation that have my 150) so, I planned this tank change all along, going with the growth rate of my other Aro's, he didn't stay true to form. He has grown so fast I can't believe it. He was a 6" baby in October and now he's 16". So I feel really bad, I know it's terrible!

I've had bad bad ju ju when it comes to getting a new tank. One was undersold to someone else, one broke, one cracked, ahhhhh so I really think this weekend I'm going to get that tank where I can test it and have him switched over tomorrow, it's not alot of difference, but it's still bigger, and it's not that big of a project.

It'll be like a fancy waterchange!

goal=one happy Aro

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
go get hem Meiling!

ays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2007
San Diego, CA
mei, dont forget to show me some pics of your tank. especially when you get your 150 gal. i'll be sure to take pics of mine when i get my 125 gal.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Under the right conditions, you should be fine....How big is you aro by the way?:D Post some pix

meiling

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2005
In your Computer
well, there's nothing tropical about my aquarium right now. It's full of ice water and it's snowing! ha ha this will definately test the structural integrity. So far, so good. I'm really excited. Going to move him over tomorrow as long as the tank holds! happy aro! I love it when my pets are happy!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store