Is the Animal Rights Movement Out of Control?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
The way things are going its makes me wonder where the industry will be in 50yrs. Some of the new regulations being suggested seem so misguided. I look at the salt water industry and feel many of those regulations will eventually be carried over to the freshwater side. Realistically the treatment of these animals can't be much worse than treatment of other farm animals assuming they are captive bred. It seems the activists pushing these regulations are playing off human emotion with little scientific backing. All this political correctness make me wanna puke.

Last edited:

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Yes politicians are always banning stuff for ridiculous reasons, for example the interstate ban on some pythons was based on very bad info that stated that pythons could live in Missouri in a few years due to global warming, the paper was later redacted as crap science and the scientist were shamed, yet the Obamanations law remains, the Burmese Python was also called a extremely dangerous animal, yet the total average number of people either killed or seriously injured by pythons is only 2 a year, even vending machines kill more people.

Reactions: Renegade Aquatics

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
People should not play with things they do not understand, and putting emotion before science is what really pisses me off. The stress and problems with transport are not so much an issue compared to the inhumane ways sometimes used to slaughter animals. If people really want to make a difference to fishkeeping the spread of correct information regarding their care is better than banning or trying to destroy the trade entirely, and tackling brands like walmart that systematically seem to abuse fish should be quite important.

Anyways what is happening with regulations there?

Wailua Boy

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2015
Hawaii
What are some of these regulations?
Its been more in regard to mandatory shipping times, minimum shipping bag size and withholding food prior to shipping. Which all seem like valid points but its a slippery slope.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Arizona has a blanket ban on all members of Carnivora except cats and dogs, California bans ferrets even tho they die in hot weather, Texas bans just about everything, it gets ridiculous and creates a dangerous but profitable black market, a little f*****g common sense or brains go a long ways, but politicians have neither, we need to banish politicians to Mars.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Well we need more representatives from the science side instead of a bunch of lawers that dont understand much about biology in most cases

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Hate to break this to yal, but our hobby is not exactly an extremely widespread thing. People get the "guv'ment" to ban things they don't understand. Piranha bans all over the warm weather states should be fairly obvious, while some bans are outright silly, I.E. snake bans in Maine.

Its up to you guys as hobbyists to make the public aware, and teach them that these animals aren't dangerous to anyone when extra care is taken and the proper handler owns them. No soccer mom is going to believe piranha are ok to own in Georgia or Texas simply because she is afraid lil Sussy is going to run into a lake and be devoured by someone's discarded shoal of teethy fish. The animal rights wackjobs are harder to deal with, but some are reasonable and if you can show them you understand the animal and have more than adequate accommodations for them then they can just back right the hell off lol.

You have to be the change you want to see...plain and simple. I'm in the process of planning to kick down doors at the DCNR here to get an exotic animal permit to own hedgehogs or sugar gliders...in PA...a state no exotic mammal could ever live in, let alone breed in. They haven't issued a permit to a private citizen in FOREVER. I'll be damned if I let the uninformed ruin my chance for a cool pet. If some PETA-tard wants to come have a chat they are more than welcome as well lol, I'd most likely know more about the critter in question anyways.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
PETA has no clue what they are talking about! did you see how i desmantled their snake page :p they are mostly idiots, so much so that the German branch broke away from their values and pursues in a similar way as the SPCA, getting people to take proper care of their animals

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store