is there anyone on MFK in Med school or planning to apply to med school?

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
Cheetah;3512788; said:
What would you like to know?

I went to undergrad in canada and medical school overseas though.

Posted on mobile.monsterfishkeepers.com
where did you go for undergrad? i was just wondering what pre reqs you took and how many years it was. i think i red at U of Toronto, i need like four years of pre-reqs, then im able to apply to med school. if im wrong on any of this please correct me, if you can, write everything i need to know about med school and before med school. my high school counselors arent help for me, thanks :D

btw where did you go overseas?

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
bump... and to cheetah, you can pm me the info if you can. thanks.

Cheetah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
I went to the University of Toronto for undergrad, completed the four year program although a 3 year program would've been possible too.

I doubled majored in Bio and Chem. Pre-reqs aren't as important if you complete a science degree, since there typically already included as required degree courses. The only way pre-reqs become important is if you decided to complete a non-science degree and complete the pre-reqs as your electives. Only problem with this is that only two of the med schools in Canada allow non-science students to apply and even then your gpa, mcat, and application are looked through more thouroughly thus making your chances quite slim. As far as I remember only bottom tier US schools accept non-science grads.

When I originally planned to go to medical school, I planned on going to a school in Canada or a mid-tier school in the states. Turns out my GPA was good, MCAT was excellent, reccomendations were good, but my extra-curricular activities were lacking (spent most of my time drinking or hustling freshmen). As such I was denied entrance into all Canadian schools and the US schools I got into were either too pricey or didn't offer the best program.

I opted to go to a school in the Carribean, about 10X pricier than a Canadian school and 3x more than the US schools. But the program was 3 years and they guaranteed you decent placement.

If your well rounded, have a 4.0, and good extra-curriucular, look into applying for the New-Zealand or Australian med schools. Combined undergrad and MD degree in 5 years.

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
most med schools want you to have a BS before entering their program. pharmacy school and i think dental you can take two years of of undergraduate classes, biology, math, chem, and physics, before you can/should apply. you will still have to take the require tests and without the undergrad classes the tests are going to take advantage of you. plus a med school would rather accept a student who's had more schooling than a student who's only taken a few classes. if you do very well there are always options for scholarships and what not. i have a good friend who got a full ride to go to a good medical school here in georgia. she doesn't even want to be there but is one of the tops in her class.

as for the classes to take, when you go to college talk to an adviser. if the school you go to doesn't have a pre-med track they will help you pick classes that will help benefit you for med school

i contemplated going the pharmacy route but now im just going for my BS in biology and looking to go to grad school to get my masters in marine biology.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I have a couple of friends who went into medicine. The ones that got into really good schools in the states had perfect grades, a well rounded resume, and graduated from undergrad with enough credits for dual degrees in a hard science (biology, chemistry etc), and a humanity where ethics are the focus (philosophy, classics). From what I understand, if you already have the science background your application is viewed more favorably by med schools if you have a strong background in logic, latin, and moral philosophy as well.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
Cheetah;3513231; said:
I went to the University of Toronto for undergrad, completed the four year program although a 3 year program would've been possible too.

I doubled majored in Bio and Chem. Pre-reqs aren't as important if you complete a science degree, since there typically already included as required degree courses. The only way pre-reqs become important is if you decided to complete a non-science degree and complete the pre-reqs as your electives. Only problem with this is that only two of the med schools in Canada allow non-science students to apply and even then your gpa, mcat, and application are looked through more thouroughly thus making your chances quite slim. As far as I remember only bottom tier US schools accept non-science grads.

When I originally planned to go to medical school, I planned on going to a school in Canada or a mid-tier school in the states. Turns out my GPA was good, MCAT was excellent, reccomendations were good, but my extra-curricular activities were lacking (spent most of my time drinking or hustling freshmen). As such I was denied entrance into all Canadian schools and the US schools I got into were either too pricey or didn't offer the best program.

I opted to go to a school in the Carribean, about 10X pricier than a Canadian school and 3x more than the US schools. But the program was 3 years and they guaranteed you decent placement.

If your well rounded, have a 4.0, and good extra-curriucular, look into applying for the New-Zealand or Australian med schools. Combined undergrad and MD degree in 5 years.
so in the four year program you got your bachelors in Bio/Chem? so if i got decide just to major in Bio and grad with a Bachelors, good gpa and well rounded mcat scores, would i have a good chance of getting into med school?

right now my plan is to do one year at U of Nevada Las Vegas if i grad with a scholorship, and transfer to U of Toronto to finish the last three years and prob graduate with a Bachelor in Bio and then try to apply to med school at U of Toronto... good or bad?

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
HiImSean;3513327; said:
most med schools want you to have a BS before entering their program. pharmacy school and i think dental you can take two years of of undergraduate classes, biology, math, chem, and physics, before you can/should apply. you will still have to take the require tests and without the undergrad classes the tests are going to take advantage of you. plus a med school would rather accept a student who's had more schooling than a student who's only taken a few classes. if you do very well there are always options for scholarships and what not. i have a good friend who got a full ride to go to a good medical school here in georgia. she doesn't even want to be there but is one of the tops in her class.

as for the classes to take, when you go to college talk to an adviser. if the school you go to doesn't have a pre-med track they will help you pick classes that will help benefit you for med school

i contemplated going the pharmacy route but now im just going for my BS in biology and looking to go to grad school to get my masters in marine biology.
yeah actually this saturday i have a tour at the U of Nevada Las Vegas because they have a "Future Doctors Program" and i want to see what thats all about and i have meeting with an adviser right after. so who knows right now. i know i'm probably going to major in Bio, not sure if i should double major like cheetah did. but i'll keep you guys updated... thanks for all the help

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
Diogenes;3513362; said:
I have a couple of friends who went into medicine. The ones that got into really good schools in the states had perfect grades, a well rounded resume, and graduated from undergrad with enough credits for dual degrees in a hard science (biology, chemistry etc), and a humanity where ethics are the focus (philosophy, classics). From what I understand, if you already have the science background your application is viewed more favorably by med schools if you have a strong background in logic, latin, and moral philosophy as well.
science background? through out high school i've passed all of my science classes with an A or really high B. And i've always like science. my gpa has never been lower that a 3.5, as of now my gpa is a 4.2 thanks to all my honors classes :)

btw for cheetah, what year of med school are you in? what "kind of Doctor" do you want to be? like do plan on working in the hospital, ER, family doc or what? lol

ANY TIPS THAT I SHOULD KNOW, LIKE WORK/STUDY ETHICS, THINGS I SHOULD DO WOULD HELP A LOT.

Diogenes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Birmingham, AL
iloveoscars702;3513711; said:
science background? through out high school i've passed all of my science classes with an A or really high B. And i've always like science. my gpa has never been lower that a 3.5, as of now my gpa is a 4.2 thanks to all my honors classes :)

btw for cheetah, what year of med school are you in? what "kind of Doctor" do you want to be? like do plan on working in the hospital, ER, family doc or what? lol

ANY TIPS THAT I SHOULD KNOW, LIKE WORK/STUDY ETHICS, THINGS I SHOULD DO WOULD HELP A LOT.
yeah well by science background I meant the same thing cheetah indicated, a BS in a hard science. Biology, chemistry, physics...

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
Diogenes;3514264; said:
yeah well by science background I meant the same thing cheetah indicated, a BS in a hard science. Biology, chemistry, physics...
ooo. i c thanks. when you guys say BS, that means Bachelors right? or am i wrong?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store