Is this a peacock??

blacktip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
Cali
Based on the size and the slight splash of color in the anal fin, I would say that it is likely a juvi male, although very hard to tell what type it might be until it colors up. Please send us more pics when/if he starts to color up.

rebent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Illinois
IMG_0144.JPG

Hello I am new here I thought this would be a good place for my first post. I have one of these fish (I tried to attach the picture not sure if it will work) You will probably not be able to tell what it is until it matures. It is for sure a malawi peacock but that is about all you will know until it starts to mature. Mine has just recently started coloring up.

straitjacketstar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
www.instagram.com
dapike1979;166059; said:
I just purchased a suppossed Apache peacock at my local lfs store for 30.88$can. He is 1.5'' What do you think?
IMO it looks like a young male Aulonocara jacobfreibergi, but I am also nothing of an expert on Aulonocara sp.. If you really want a better ID you'll have to wait until it colors more. Hybrids are always a possibility so keep that in mind.

rebent;2645772; said:
View attachment 306585

Hello I am new here I thought this would be a good place for my first post. I have one of these fish (I tried to attach the picture not sure if it will work) You will probably not be able to tell what it is until it matures. It is for sure a malawi peacock but that is about all you will know until it starts to mature. Mine has just recently started coloring up.
Your fish bears a great resemblance to Protomelas spilonotus from Mozambique or Mara Rocks.

frozen-fire

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
it resembles a young aulonocara jacobfreibergi to me.

apache peacocks are what some sellers call aulonocara maylandi. i've seen them on some lists around here in the greater toronto area.

in my opinion, you overpaid for that fish, especially at that size.
if it actually was a maylandi, it would've been more worth it.

it's too late to worry about it now, just grow this fish up as best you can and be happy with it. :)

NotoriousSway

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Muncie, IN
rebent;2645772; said:
View attachment 306585

Welcome to MFK, I agree this looks like a Protomelas spilonotus Mara Rocks, I have been wanting some of these! Just a little advice you need to make a separate thread of your own so you don't derail someones thread.

rebent

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2009
Illinois
Yeah that is what mine is "sulferhead" I think that is what they refer to as a "apache peacock" with the orange or yellow mohawk. Just showing him what his fish will resemble if it is what they said it was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store